PDA

View Full Version : How do you move an established clam?

Tcook
07/04/2002, 08:47 PM
I'm breaking down my 120 reef and move most of the contents to a 55 in my office. I have a T. crocea that I have had for the past 1.5 yrs that I want to move also, but not the rock he is attached to. Can this be done without damaging the byssal gland?

Lukan
07/05/2002, 09:17 AM
According to D. Knop it could be done. I have done it myself a few times without any problems.

What you want to do is take the rock out with the clam on it from the tank. Put it on a table where you can get comfortable. Get a sharp and brand new blade. Make sure you sterilize the blade kwith Alcohol and wipe it with Iodine as well.

Now cut the bysal thread closes to rock where it has attached to.
Now you are done. You can then place the clam back in the tank at its new house.

Note: Not responsible for any mishandling or death of your clams.

jimroth
07/06/2002, 04:50 PM
I successfully moved my Crocea last year, including cutting the byssal threads in the tank (the rock he was attached to was way too big to move). I got the longest utility knife blade I could find at Home Depot. I elevated the clam a little and kind of sawed away underneath. Bingo. I think the important mistake to avoid is just not to rip the clam off the rock, but to cut the threads instead.
Now my clam is in my other tank, happier under halides, and has reattached to a rock.