PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates

sbudke1
11/16/2006, 10:07 PM
This probably will sound like a stupid question, but what's the deal w/ the water conditioner's that remove nitrates? I saw some at the store and was wondering if they were (a) effective (b) would ruin the natural cycle/biology of the tank, (c) a waste of money. Any advise on this matter would be appreciated, because I'm out of the stress coat type water conditioner, and wanted to replace it, and if I can help control nitrates while removing clorine, etc. that would be ideal, but maybe too good to be true. Thanks to everyone who has offered me advise recently!

Dubbin1
11/16/2006, 10:20 PM
Are you talking about an RO (reverse osmosis) unit? If so then yes they work. I think most people here have a RO/DI unit that we use for our tank water.

sbudke1
11/17/2006, 08:14 AM
No, actually I was talking about a water conditioner, that you add, it dechlorinates & provides a stress coat, and claims to reduce nitrates. It comes in a bottle that looks much like stresszyme or stresscoat

BORNTOFLY
11/17/2006, 09:16 AM
Additives only treat the symptom they don't fix the problem. If you have nitrate problems you need to get to the root cause and remove it. In the end that will also be more cost effective and better for the fish.

Rick

Dubbin1
11/17/2006, 09:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8566180#post8566180 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sbudke1
No, actually I was talking about a water conditioner, that you add, it dechlorinates & provides a stress coat, and claims to reduce nitrates. It comes in a bottle that looks much like stresszyme or stresscoat

Umm yeah after reading the question again I see what you are asking :)

Anyway I agree with what Rick has to say but I will add something. Stop using tap water and get a RO/DI unit. You can pick on up for $100-$150.