PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a tank...don't know what to do.

ralphie16
11/17/2006, 09:21 AM
I found out today I will be given a 220 AGA tank that my relative has to get rid of. It is completely empty, just a stand for it. Predrilled though.

Right now I have three juvenile fish (porcupine puffer, picasso trigger, teardrop butterflyfish). They all get along now but when the trigger gets older I can't be 100% sure that even though they grew up together that he and the butterfly will coexist in the same tank.

So, do I move the puffer and trigger into the big tank when its set up and leave the butterfly in the 125 and set up a community type fish only tank? Or do I move the butterfly in with everyone in the big tank and start up a mini coral reef tank in the 125?

Problem is the bf might eventually get messed up with the trigger and puffer in the future when the trigger gets large (he's <2" now). But then the corals will be in the 125 and of course the BF is not reef safe so he'll be screwed.

I also have a small 29 gallon right now that is satisfying my urge to keep corals (i have some very easy to care for softies in there). Im content right now but it seems the trend in this hobby to get obsessed (which I can feel already).

So what would you guys do with these 3 tanks? How would you set it up? Take into account the amount of work it would take for you to operate a 220 aggressive tank in addition to the 125 reef tank.

Sk8r
11/17/2006, 09:43 AM
I'd go all-corals [with some reefsafe fish] and deal frags to get a calcium reactor and pay the electric bill: once corals 'set in' and started to grow in a setup like that, it could be pretty darned good. Use the 29g for a sump.

Corals don't chase each other and you can glue them out of reach. At worst, they grow into range, but you can break that part off and deal.

If I had to do a fish-only tank, it would likelier be butterflies than a trigger, which have a way of becoming a problem to tankmates, but that's just me.

dc
11/17/2006, 10:18 AM
Dang I wish I had your problem. :D You can fill it up and cycle, that'll give you time to decide what to do with it.

tkeracer619
11/17/2006, 10:25 AM
a 6ft long reef takes a while to biuld. When you drop $500 on corals you don't see much of it. You still see rock and more rock.

I don't think the maintenence would be a problem. I rarely do anything to my tanks.

You will get addicted to it, especially if you step up to a 6' reef. There is a lot of room to work with.

sk8r has a good point though it takes years and thousands to get to that point. If it was me I would make it one large reef with a 40g sump and a 80g refugium. Water volume is a plus. True its overkill but is it? Its not overkill if the upgrade is ~free~. Who wants some cheato!!!!!!!!!

I would use the 30g for fish qt and a 10g for coral qt.