PDA

View Full Version : What medications do I need?

ARIANNA
11/17/2006, 08:56 AM
I'm in the process of gathering all the equipment necessary to start up a new 90 gal. I have read different threads on dipping corals and fish to prevent disease. I thought it would be useful to have a list all in one place of the medications necessary for dipping Zoo's SPS and fish. I would appreciate any recipes for dips you may have with along with where you can find the product and what diseases or bugs it is used to kill.
Thanks, Fred:strooper:

Sk8r
11/17/2006, 09:07 AM
Interceptor is the brand name on the coral dip; ditto Lugols.
A bucket will serve for coral dip.

You need a qt tank. Keep new fish in there for 4 weeks observation-only, unless you see disease, then treat.

Google "fish disease: ich, velvet, brook" to see what diseases look like, and the treatment. Learning to spot it at first appearance is as important as having the right treatment at hand. Fish often die because the owner lost 3 days of treatment realizing too late that the fish was sick. If you could treat at first spot, you'd save the fish.
Ich is the most common disease. Treatment: either cupramine or hyposalinity. I'm not sure of the exact salinity level on that, but to do it accurately you need a refractometer.
Do not attempt to install a tang or angel [disease] or mandarin [food supply problems] until your tank is nearly a year old and much more stable. I would argue against a puffer for the same reason. Your safest early inhabitants are gobies...hardy and disease resistant.

WDLV
11/17/2006, 10:37 AM
I agree on the importance of reading up on how to spot diseases. I also would reiterate the importance of quarrantining anything that is wet.
Do I do that?
- No.
Do I currently regret it?
- Yes. I currently have red bugs and aptasia after going nearly a year without any diseases. I got the Interceptor in yesterday. That and levamisole are the only two meds that cannot be readily purchased in the LFS and so are the only two I'd keep on hand.

ARIANNA
11/17/2006, 11:38 PM
So interceptor for red bugs. And the Lugols for zoo's. Any other items I should have on hand. Formalin maybe?

chrisd1009
11/17/2006, 11:48 PM
Set up a QT, observe and worry about it from there. There are no treat all meds.
If you have not already purchased the 90, get a 120. More efficient usage of lighting, great size and only weighs 240 pounds more than a 90. 90 is a poor size compared to a 120 in the reef world.

ARIANNA
11/18/2006, 11:52 PM
I already have the 90 and I know there are no cure all drugs. The purpose of this thread was to compile a list of medications and what they are used to treat. I will have a qt tank but I wanted to be prepared for the worst. Thanks to those of you who have contributed to the subject at hand. Fred:strooper:

WDLV
11/19/2006, 11:21 AM
I would add the levamisole to your list if you plan to keep acros. It kills acropora eating flatworms. Flatworm exit does not work on those and the stuff is harder to come by than most of the other medications.