PDA

View Full Version : Non Reef Safe fish in Reef?

mthedude
11/17/2006, 11:00 AM
I know there's a ton of people w/pymgy angels in thier reefs. what's the real deal w/them? Can you actually have angels in your reef that won't nip at corals and clams? What about coperbanded butterly, racoons and other "non reef safe" fish. Is there a secret to keeping these non reef fish in a reef?

Dubbin1
11/17/2006, 11:03 AM
The only secret is luck.

TWallace
11/17/2006, 11:23 AM
I don't think pygmy angels are considered not reef safe. They're borderline at worst. My flame angel nipped at all 3 of my croceas repeatedly for one whole day about 2 months ago. Since that day, he hasn't touched them again. The only other thing he's bothered is Christmas tree worms, which he may have in fact killed (though I think they have a short life expectancy in captivity anyway, and I probably shouldn't have bought them). He doesn't bother any of my zoanthids, ricordea, mushrooms, LPS (galaxea, pearl bubble, torch, trumpet), colt, toadstool

I don't keep much SPS, so I don't know if pygmys are less safe with SPS than with LPS, clams and softies.

tanker
11/17/2006, 11:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8566916#post8566916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
The only secret is luck.

YES.... Just luck of the draw.

Some will nip coral the same one may not in another tank.

tobyp
11/17/2006, 12:00 PM
i have 1 4 about 6 mon. and its my fav. fish in the tank get a juvinile and feed angel fish food 2 times a day thay pick but done eat

tobyp
11/17/2006, 12:01 PM
and luck of the draw

Keiths_Reefs
11/17/2006, 12:07 PM
I'd say it's luck as well as the availability of other food sources. Fish are grazers and in the absense of something you want them to graze on they'll find something.

RichConley
11/17/2006, 12:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8567455#post8567455 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Keiths_Reefs
I'd say it's luck as well as the availability of other food sources. Fish are grazers and in the absense of something you want them to graze on they'll find something.

100% agree. I've had numerous "questionably reef safe" fish, and never had problems with any of them. I overfeed and overskim though, so theyre always well fed.

trippyl
11/17/2006, 01:42 PM
I was about to say the same thing. I wonder if those that have angels that nip corals predominantly feed 1x or less per day, and conversely those that feed well have angels that don't nip at all.

It would be interesting if folks could say whether they had angels who nipped along with frequency of feedings per day. I will go first:

I had a coral beauty, never nipped my corals (I have lps, sps, and some zoos), and I feed at least 2x per day.

jbittner
11/17/2006, 01:54 PM
I feed my coral beauty once a day (5x a week) and have never seen her nip at anything.

sunfish11
11/17/2006, 02:29 PM
I feed my fish 2-3 times per day (I have anthias so they are all lucky) and my coral beauty doesn't bother anything at all. I have had her 1 year so far.

Lisa

Keiths_Reefs
11/17/2006, 02:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8568123#post8568123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by trippyl
I wonder if those that have angels that nip corals predominantly feed 1x or less per day, and conversely those that feed well . . . .
Lol, you consider once a day not very often eh? I feed once every third day but have Nori/dried seaweed available almost 24/7. My CB will eat any of the Nori/Seaweed but especially likes the softer onces (such as red seaweed).