PDA

View Full Version : Anemones in a FOWLR?

RBomm
11/17/2006, 12:02 PM
I currently have a FOWLR tank but I wanted to add an anemone for my three percs. I'm guessing that my angel would probably pick at the anemone, but I'm not sure. Can anemones be added to a FOWLR with angels?

Below are my fish and tank specs. Thanks

2 yellow tangs
1 Naso Tang
1 Majestic Angel
1 blue lined sleeper goby
3 small percs
1 tiger cowrie
2 cleaner shrimp
1 blood shrimp

Randall_James
11/17/2006, 12:38 PM
Heard of the Majestic Angel nipping clams but not Anemeones'.

I do not know why you could not add the animal to your tank. I prefer captive bred E.quadricolor for the best success.

Water quality could be your only issue, I would watch the nitrates (tend to be higher in most FO/FOWLR tanks I have seen)

Powerhead inlets all need guards installed as do any inlets to closed loops.

Bet your Percs will love you for this

Dubbin1
11/17/2006, 12:45 PM
I kept a large queen angel with a GBTA in my old FOWLR. I don't think it even noticed the GBTA.

RBomm
11/17/2006, 01:06 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a GBTA? I am new to saltwater(18 years freshwater exp) and have very little knowledge as to reef systems.

Thanks for the great info Randall

Dubbin1
11/17/2006, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8567900#post8567900 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBomm
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a GBTA? I am new to saltwater(18 years freshwater exp) and have very little knowledge as to reef systems.

Thanks for the great info Randall

GBTA = Green Bubble Tip Anemone ;)

adam_not4u
11/17/2006, 09:10 PM
IMHO...

Just might want to check and see if your lighting is going to be strong enough!!! I don't think 300W is going to be enough if it's a deep tank!! They tend to plant their foot where there is less flow but let's just hope that's towards the top!!!

demonsp
11/17/2006, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8567418#post8567418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBomm
[B]I currently have a FOWLR tank but I wanted to add an anemone for my three percs. I'm guessing that my angel would probably pick at the anemone, but I'm not sure. Can anemones be added to a FOWLR with angels?
Well if the clowns host him im sure they would protect him and feed him. All they need is good light and live rock with good specs. If angel happya and well feed then he should leave a good size anenome alone. But why dont you want coral with that list it should not be a problem. Most FOWLR tanks have fish that arent reef safe.

Jakaru
11/17/2006, 11:45 PM
Any large tang I believe has the ability to pick at a nem. I'd also be worried about the tiger cowrie, I'm not sure but thought I read somewhere that they are also bad. Large bristle worms are also predators to nems.

It also depends on the type of nem. A bta is a good choice for surviving normal tank conditions. I have a sing 150w de mh bulb over my tank and the nem is still getting adjusted to my higher lighting than where it came from. bta's are also more likely to be picked on than other nems are due to their non aggresive nature.

Then if you go for a different nem you also run the chance that it could eat some of your fish. I've even heard the lowly bta's can eat fish if hungry enough. Remember they are opertunistic. IF and I mean IF your clowns host they will try to keep things away from the nem. Mine don't even want my hands in the tank but you cant garuntee your clowns will host in one even if you put their natural host in there. Wild caught clowns are more likely to host but still no garuntee.

Me personally I MIGHT try a bta and see what happens and if it gets eaten or what not then I wouldn't try anything else. they can get expensive fast especially for larger ones. There is also a clownfish and nem forum you could try posting in.

Jakaru
11/17/2006, 11:46 PM
As far as your clowns feeding the nem don't count on it. I have one that hosts my bta and one that doesn't. The one that hosts actually takes the food out of the bta so that he has room to "nuzzle" it.

angelfishman
11/18/2006, 07:43 AM
as far as angelfish go,i have kept most of the large angels with anemones and have never had any problems with them.derek

fingersdlp
11/18/2006, 08:58 AM
I have a Majestic angel, lemon peel angel, sailfin tang, powder blue tang and a puffer in a fowlr tank with one anemone (bta) / tomato clown.

No problems at all but I do have a little more lighting (6 x 80 watt T5's). However my lighting schedule is like:

2 hours using 3 bulbs = 240 w
4 hours using 6 bulbs = 480 w
2 hours using 3 bulbs = 240 w

so on average around 360 w over only 8 hours. My nitrates do tend to run in the 20 - 40 range. My anemone has divided twice since I have had it so I don't think it minds too much.

B.