PDA

View Full Version : Question About Dipping Live Rock to Kill Aiptasia

FlipFlops24/7
11/17/2006, 01:24 PM
I have a small tank, 29 gallons. I have a few large pieces of live rock that have about 20 aiptasia on them per rock(I neglected my tank for a few months).

Would it be possible to mix up some saltwater in a 5 gallon pail, and just douse the absolute heck out of the rocks with a large mixture of RODI water and Kalkwasser to do a mass murder of aiptasia?

Then I was thinking of rinsing/basting those rocks in another 5 gallon pail of fresh saltwater before putting them back in the display tank.

Would this kill the beneficial bacteria living deep within the live rock?

Thanks in advance.

Dubbin1
11/17/2006, 01:48 PM
Have you tried joes juice or any of the other remedies to get rid of them first?

FlipFlops24/7
11/17/2006, 01:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8568175#post8568175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
Have you tried joes juice or any of the other remedies to get rid of them first?

Well, 1TSP of good ol' Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime mixed in a syringe with RODI water has killed them very fast, but some of these rocks have tons of tiny little baby aiptasia on them. I have been killing aiptasia in this tank for over a year now and I thought that dipping the live rock would eradicate them all since it would get into the cracks/crevices here baby aiptasia live.

acrylic_300
11/17/2006, 02:08 PM
They are so tough....I injected one with Clorox and it was back a day later. I don't think any other living being could take that kind of punishment.

MayoBoy
11/17/2006, 02:15 PM
I had the same problem. I took out the big ones with a kalk/salt mixture and then added 3 peppermint shrimp. The shrimp took care of them after about 3 or 4 weeks and I haven't seen one in months now.