PDA

View Full Version : Flow between two level tanks

gussy
11/17/2006, 03:12 PM
Is there a reliable way to move water between two tanks that are equal in height? One of the tanks will have corals only and the other will be fishes only.

oldsaltman
11/17/2006, 03:31 PM
I am not sure I see a problem with that design. If you have a bulkhead in each tank at the same height then the water should be level. Unless I am missing something? Is there a pump, overflow, drain involved in this setup? I have two 10g tanks, one sump and one filter setup both basicly level and they work.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bkiba
11/17/2006, 03:38 PM
You wont get a huge flow is they are simply connected. If you use two pipes and have a PH forcing water from one tank to the other through one pipe the water should recirculate at the same rate (or slightly less) through the other pipe.

I've thought about this before, you definatley don't want to over do it with the flow and have one tank go over and the other run low. And you definatley need at least one return pipe to match each powered pipe. Using a PH is probably the best option for flow, that way if there is a problem, clog, etc, it will not cause you too much of an issue. A hard plumbed pump might cause you the overflowing disaster.

Crit21
11/17/2006, 03:39 PM
There is, as long as there are two tubes connecting the tanks--one for flow in each direction between them. Mount a powerhead so it blows the water through one of the two tanks. If the tubes are large enough, use the MaxiJet mod (www.mjmods.com) for extra oomph at super-low cost.

You still have to worry about adequate circulation within each tank though.

30mini
11/17/2006, 03:42 PM
Is there a common sump? If there is, just run a T off your return line and have them go into the common sump. This would be much easier than the proposed solutions. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great, and would try it myself with some spare tanks, but I think that a common sump may be your better option!

DrHank
11/17/2006, 03:46 PM
I just set up two 10 gal tanks in this fashion. What I did was to buy 2" PVC pipe and two elbows. I cut a small peice to link the elbows together and two more sections of equal length to extend to within 1" of the bottom of the two tanks. I used silicon adhesive to join all sections together and seal them. Finally, I drilled a hole in the top to the "U" just big enough to gqueeze a airline tubing connector into. I pushed in the tubing connector attached a short length of tubing, addes a check valve and a bit more tubing. Now place the 2" homemade syphon over the sides to connect both tanks. With both ends submerged just suck out all the air until you see water coming up the airline tubing and you're done. I made 2 siphons because I wanted to make sure that regardless of how much draw my pumps had the overflow could keep up with it. Mine has been working great!

Keiths_Reefs
11/17/2006, 03:52 PM
any particular reason you want them connected? The coral tank might do a lot better than having to deal with the fish contaminants.

bkwudzjeep
11/17/2006, 03:54 PM
I have 2 40 breeders on one return sharing a sump and it works great. As long as both tanks have a drain you should be fine as long as one of the drains does not get blocked.

I had a snail mine once, but only tank flooded (but it was still a flood)