PDA

View Full Version : coral banded shrimp

kelrn98
11/17/2006, 05:39 PM
I just recieved another small cleaning crew to help combat my algae. did not realize that i was getting a coral banded shrimp. i have heard they will eat your other shrimp. what have you guys experienced. also if this is so, do you think he could survive in my sump/fuge?

ACBlinky
11/17/2006, 05:47 PM
CBS aren't generally considered 'shrimp friendly'. Mine lives with a pistol, but the pistol is large and hides under the rockwork where my HUGE CB can't get at him. They live on the same side of the tank, so I suppose in their way they get along. I wouldn't trust my CBS with any other shrimp though, she's VERY agressive. She'll lunge at fish, pinch my hand (ow!), even chase her own shadow; she's a nasty little thing. That said, she's gorgeous and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Mine lived in a Rubbermaid bin full of LR for weeks while I upgraded from my old 65g to the new 90g, so I'd say yours will be just fine in the sump. One cautionary note: if your return pump doesn't have a guard you may want to put something (sponge, plastic guard etc.) on to protect the shrimp so it doesn't get sucked in. I'd also recommend spot feeding the shrimp - there's not much to eat in a sump and IME these guys have a big appetite.

kelrn98
11/17/2006, 06:02 PM
My return pump is protected with sponge. thanks for the input. I guess that's where he will be. I have 5 peppermint shrimp, and I like them, don't want to see them get eaten.