PDA

View Full Version : Is my metal halide broken?

tubsy3
11/17/2006, 09:19 PM
Hi all,

I jsut brought a hamilton hood with 2 175 watt mh. Whne i bought it off the guy, everything was working. When I set it up at home, the right mh bulb seems like it wont start. The ballast like vibrates and light begins to show on the bulb but it will go out. I thought it was normal at first cuz when i first turned it on the bulbs kept switching on and off alternating sides but now the left has been on for liek 20mins and the other is still going on and off every few mins or so.

Ok, just as I was typing that the other one came on and is staying on. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks
Chris

Jesika_rose
11/17/2006, 09:23 PM
Did you touch the bulbs... that will make them go bad from what i understand...

Dubbin1
11/17/2006, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8570927#post8570927 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jesika_rose
Did you touch the bulbs... that will make them go bad from what i understand...

Someone told you wrong.

skeeter_ca
11/17/2006, 09:44 PM
Jesika,

:eek2: Touching the bulbs will not make them go bad per se'. The oils on your fingers get on the bulb and can cause it to run hotter than normal and cause early failure but not right away. It is a good idea to clean them occasionally, of course when there off and cool.:cool:

Tubsy,

This is not normal for the bulbs to do this. The ballast could be bad. It is normal for them to make is low hum but you actually can barely hear it even if it's quiet. If it makes alot of noise it is probably bad. If the ballast are good you may have the wrong bulbs in it. You need to look on the ballast for what type it is and then check to make sure the bulb is correct. Is it magnetic, or electronic? The difference in the bulbs is a small resistor inside the bulbs. Look into the bulb and is there a resistor near the base.

:) :) :) :) :)

tubsy3
11/19/2006, 11:28 PM
Not sure what was going on. It is a magnetic ballast. I have been using it the past few days and now when i turn it on in the morning the 2 lamps start to glow at the same time now. The ballast only makes a noise when i first turn it on then nothing after. Hope it wont go on me. If it does i have a good excuse for a new electronic ballast :)