PDA

View Full Version : Good idea??

adrian75
11/17/2006, 10:40 PM
due to upcoming work commitments i will be forced to pack up my reef tank any sell all my livestock.

however i plan to setup the same tank at a later date, and this time due to the high cost of live rock, i plan to construct some sort of foam structure, resembling that of reef rock structure, and cover it in a rock imitating cement. then i would like to take this out to sea and submerge it on a local reef to allow all sorts or coral life to grow on it, then after a few months, or years. i plan to place this into my tank. if there are any improvement suggesions, or any comments, plz feel free to comment.

cheers, Adrian

demonsp
11/17/2006, 10:42 PM
Im thinking that pvc would be much better , cant see foam doing weel in a reef tank.

adrian75
11/17/2006, 10:45 PM
pvc? would that be easy to shape, this piece will be quite large.

demonsp
11/17/2006, 10:50 PM
Well i know alot of live rock is made from man made material then put in a reef system to mature then they sell , i have some. I think its plaster but not real sure. If it is then shaping around pvc would be perfect. This sounds like fun to me i wish i was there to help and see results. Foam is made from many chemicals and i would be afraid of break down but im not saying its been done.

adrian75
11/17/2006, 10:53 PM
cheers, mate

staticx
11/18/2006, 06:41 AM
alot of people use pond foam on the back of there tank you could load a big pile of that up and throw it in the ocean no worries there you could make it huge to wish i lived by warm water it is what i would do