PDA

View Full Version : spray bar

staticx
11/18/2006, 02:31 AM
I have a 100 gal acrylic tank and a 1200 gph retun pump should i make a spray bar for my return pump or ??

michaeldaly
11/18/2006, 02:41 AM
Thats up to you, do you want all the water coming from one outlet or do you want it spraying out at various points?

staticx
11/18/2006, 02:52 AM
I had thought it would be better sprayiong out at more points I thought I would put a (T) in the return and then make 2 spray bars what do you think ??

theatrus
11/18/2006, 03:14 AM
I have a spray bar as a return running under my rocks for over 3/4 of the length of my tank. Best thing I ever did - as long as you can keep the holes clean (they do gunk up every now and then - I've cleaned mine out once using a paperclip and little rock shuffling).

staticx
11/18/2006, 03:16 AM
great idea Im on it tommorow

staticx
11/20/2006, 01:53 AM
So I made one that goes the whole lenght of my tank. I like it alot great idea

Vitaly
11/20/2006, 02:09 AM
<B>theatrus</B>,

Just for clarification...your spray bar is under your rocks?
Do you have a bare bottom tank? If not, how do you avoid sand storms.

Why did you decide to place it along the bottom as opposed to along the top?

I am in the final stages of setting up my plumbing from my sump returns. I was just going to put a spray bar across the top, along the top edge of the tank.

theatrus
11/20/2006, 02:27 AM
I have a sand bottom. I put it under/behind my rockwork since thats the deadest area in terms of flow in my tanks, and can simulate a reef edge with the water coming from below (or so I think, it makes me happier though ;)). I drilled my holes in the spray bar in a 90 degree arc so none point down, only varying degrees of "up". Some of my holes do stir up some sand, but its settled down by now so no sandstorms. A few of the holes point straight up so they blow along the back wall and actually break the water at the surface a little.

I don't think top mounted spray bars are any less effective (and may help with some corals), I just honestly didn't want to try figuring out a way of mounting it. Its easier when it just sits at the bottom ;) The bottom mount gives me a very slow diffuse water movement except for the very edges of the back of the rockwork, so the spray bar doesn't really limit coral placement (and even the outlets themselves are slow enough to not cause distress for corals - one of my acros is directly in the flow of one and seems to like it a lot)

Pygy88
12/17/2006, 08:43 PM
You wouldn't by chance have any picture of this would you?