PDA

View Full Version : Clam acting strange

dstall
11/18/2006, 07:10 PM
i've had a Squamossa Clam for about a month and he has done fine, until yesterday. He is contstantly closing his shell sharply and kicking up sand about evey 5 minutes. Is it trying clear something out of its system? Also, last night i noticed some kind of white fleashy material under the claim about 2 inches long and today it floated out from underneath the clam. Appeared to be expelled from the bottom of the clam.

Whats going on here?????

mbbuna
11/19/2006, 01:04 AM
are you adding food, trying to feed the clam? are you disturbing the sand bed?

can you please list all the test results from all the test kits you have.

also what fish do you have?

OrionN
11/19/2006, 06:24 AM
When trying to move, clams often release the whole byssal thread bundle. This looks like a bundle of fibers on one end and cartilage on the other end. This is fine, the clam just form another bundle when it attach to another spot. From what you posted, I think the clam does not like where it is and is on the move.

dstall
11/21/2006, 08:15 AM
OrionN,
Thats exactly what it appears to be from your discription. Regarding the constant gapping and rapid closing, it the clam trying to expell something? I was able to what looked like a small shrimp of some tpye moving around in the clam. Is that normal?

OrionN
11/21/2006, 08:22 AM
Rarely, there are commensal (sp) shrimps and crabs that can live inside a clam. I hope this is the case. Otherwise, it may be that your clam is dying and the shrimps are scavenger eating it.

dstall
11/21/2006, 08:29 AM
What are the first signs i should look for if my clam is dying?