PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, noticed some bubble algae

rachelcb80
11/18/2006, 08:54 PM
I was looking closely at all my rocks tonight and noticed, much to my disappointment, a very tiny patch of bubble algae. It's way down in the hole of one of my biggest, base rocks. After doing some reading tonight it seems the only reliable method of getting rid of bubble algae is manually removing it. This of course isn't impossible for me to do but sure would be a major pain in the butt considering the rock it chose to grow on. If I leave it alone it will just spread like wild fire, right? Any hopes of getting something that will eat it?

At least I noticed a little polyp of some sort starting to grow on another rock. Kind of softened the blow of the nasty algae discovery.

Rachel

T Man
11/18/2006, 09:36 PM
Howdy Rachel, Yea, manually removing it will work either by net your hands, tongs, turkey baster or possibly siphon it out. Take extra care not to burst the valonia as it will increase your overall outbreak. You can overcome the breakout with the removal and monitor your water quality or adjust your frequency of water changes using ro/di and step up the circulation if you can, and of course continue to skim, skim, skim. With time and patience, you will get it under control.........I would'nt rely on finding anything to eat it, being concerned that it would get popped and get into the water column and create an even bigger mess. Good luck, and hang in there! Tinman