PDA

View Full Version : Orange Ocellaris and Black Ocellaris Clown Pairs

Abraham1907
11/18/2006, 09:41 PM
I like both Orange and black occelaris clowns, and i was wondering if they would get along or even pair with each other? My tank is 25g and is plenty big for both of them. If anyone has any pics of their bi-color(???) pair that would be great!

GSMguy
11/18/2006, 09:47 PM
they will pair if done right

h2joe
11/19/2006, 01:12 AM
not an orange occ but a perc.....
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/h2joe/misc157.jpg

dustin Combs
11/19/2006, 01:35 AM
I have a occ and a perc that have mated up!! It was tuff at the beginning but if introduction is done correctly you will have success. Good luck!

Newreeflady
11/19/2006, 11:54 AM
I had no trouble pairing mine. As long as you don't introduce similarly sized fish together you should have little trouble. I had the orange for a bit and introduced a very small black ocellaris in my 12g tank. They paired very quickly.

-A

Abraham1907
11/19/2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I can't wait to get my pair. If I am having other fish, should I add the clowns last?

Newreeflady
11/19/2006, 10:14 PM
That really depends on what other fish you plan. I would do my best to stick with "community" type fish with a 25g tank, nothing even semi-aggressive (no dwarf angels, no pseudos, et.)

I think if you get your clowns to host a coral, they won't be a worry with any other fish. I would let them pair before adding anything else, though, if they are not already paired. This is because the little one will need space to hide just incase.

Clowns have been known to host a few LPS corals if you are interested. I had a pair host an open brain once:)

Best,
-A

Abraham1907
11/21/2006, 02:55 PM
I plan on the clown pair, a firefish, and a goby shrimp combo, all peacful fish. Thats about the most i could put in there right? I have always heard to put the most aggresive in last, and wouldn't that be the clowns?

Newreeflady
11/21/2006, 10:34 PM
I have always seen ocellaris referred to as non-aggressive, and I thought firefish were a little territorial, but you are right to ask and do the research. I'm sure someone else can point you in the right direction.

Honestly, I don't see any problem adding the goby pair with respect to the timeline of the clowns, as they are supposed to stay at the bottom. It is the column swimmers you may want to wait on if you are trying to pair the clowns, for the reasons I listed above. But, i'm sure people try many methods.

Pairing the clowns can be a time of conflict for the tank, i'd just let them do that and then worry about the rest since your tank is small.

Best,
-A

Abraham1907
11/26/2006, 02:00 PM
Ok, sounds good. I will add the bi-color pair fist!