PDA

View Full Version : DIY MJmod Seio Magnet Mount?

ReefObsessor805
11/19/2006, 01:36 AM
I just received my MJmod in the mail for my 1200.

I've been thinking about what I am going to do for a mount.
I have been thinking about casting my own mold for it using this exact example: http://www.cawanee.com/magnetmounts/MagnetMounts3.htm

I would use a 2"x1"1/2" Neo magnet molded in the casting resin.

When my mold is finished, what should I do.

- Should I just use some sort of adhesive to attach my MJ straight to the magnet.

- Or I would like it to be able to angle/swivel like the Seio on the website above.

Should I use the SureGrip mount instead?
But how would that work? B/c once the MJ is modded the slots for mounting are not useful anymore. The modded MJ outlet totally switches the pump to face the other direction...

Can someone give me advice here?
It would help sooo much.

DrBDC
11/19/2006, 08:54 AM
I made those but used a different container. I actually used cups from QT. I just glued it to the maxijet so I don't get any adjustment. Looking back, I should have set the cup on a slight angle when I poured it so I could have angled the ph some. By the time you buy the resin and the magnets aren't that cheap, I think I spent as much as buying large mag floats although they are smaller.

evilsike
11/19/2006, 11:32 AM
how do you make a mold? is it easy and inexpensive?

ReefObsessor805
11/19/2006, 11:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8577771#post8577771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
I made those but used a different container. I actually used cups from QT. I just glued it to the maxijet so I don't get any adjustment. Looking back, I should have set the cup on a slight angle when I poured it so I could have angled the ph some. By the time you buy the resin and the magnets aren't that cheap, I think I spent as much as buying large mag floats although they are smaller.

Yea I found some Neo magnets online, that are 2"x1"x0.5", and it would be $17 for two of them.

I think I may just go with the Suregrips. But I'd really like to make my own.

ReefObsessor805
11/19/2006, 12:16 PM
Is there any way I can get a hold of one of the Seio mounting kits?

I like the way you are able to swivel the powerhead with the thumb screw to point the flow in another direction.