PDA

View Full Version : What is best cured or uncured live rock?

192clark
11/19/2006, 03:51 PM
The search feature has not been working for a few days now. I have been wondering what is best to use cured or uncured live rock in the initial set up of an aquarium. Will you get more beneficial life forms from uncured live rock or just the opposite?

TekCat
11/19/2006, 05:03 PM
IMHO, if you're after hitchikers, go with uncured LR. Or check out TSB package.

kau_cinta_ku
11/19/2006, 05:12 PM
i agree more hitchhikers on the uncured both good and bad though. but IMO the good over rides the bad

crazy4salt
11/19/2006, 05:15 PM
uncured will also jump start your cycle.

Plus you get the bonus of critters,and sometimes corals:D

staticx
11/19/2006, 05:22 PM
I am setting mine up right now and i went uncured and there is tons of stuff

Sk8r
11/19/2006, 05:34 PM
Logically enough, it depends on the rock. Beware of anything from Haiti: I'd cure it first. The Pacific Ocean gives a much safer range of hitchhikers. I'd try 'feeding' it first, see if a piece of raw shrimp lures any crabs or mantis out of hiding. They'd be pretty hungry. If you get any, give them to somebody who'd like to have them. Worms and snails are almost always good. Almost no crabs are. And mantids are great for somebody who has species tanks.

I went with uncured rock and do not regret it. Mine was Pacific and had lived in someone's reef tank for several years. Great life, right up to hitchhiking mushrooms and corals.

chrisstie
11/19/2006, 06:30 PM
I am about to order uncured live rock - its cheaper because i get to clean it and cure it myself- a bonus. And I also hope to pick up some cool hitchhikers.

I was almost going to go with TBS but for what I can get uncured from a pacific area.. well it just works out for my budget. TBS is pretty but you do have to be very weary of mantis and other bad hitchikers.

I've also been told its more dense than other types of rock (not all just some) and that the route I am taking may give me more bang for my buck. Won't know until it happens, but I'd say if you can afford to get something like the package from tbs go for it i don't know anyone really who was unhappy with it- just be careful of hitchikers (which goes for any rock)

192clark
11/19/2006, 07:28 PM
Sk8r what is wrong with Rock from Haiti?
And thanks for the replies guys, uncured it is.

Krazy
11/19/2006, 07:36 PM
http://sealifeflorida.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=31

looks like some good uncured !!

I've ordered from ken a few times, never his Live rock but all his corals and snails etc, 100%!!!