PDA

View Full Version : Lots of crap in the water!!!

Mvopat54
11/20/2006, 09:50 AM
Im not sure what to do with me canister filter. I used to have the spounge like filters inside until I was told of all the negatives with those. I put carbon inside to use as a water buffer. Things are working alot better since. The water is a lot better. My only probelm is now I have lots of tiny particles in the water. Its not micro bubbles, atleast Im 95% sure they are not since I never had this problem before. Can anyone help? PLEASE

Just a little info: Its a 75 gallon FOWLR. Cureently about 150 lbs of rock. 5" sand.

LivingonLine
11/20/2006, 10:47 AM
Do you use instant ocean salt? I have had the same problem and started noticing that alot of it comes from the salt.

chip721
11/20/2006, 01:08 PM
How often do you change the GAC? It loses it's adsorbency if left too long. Are you skimming? How often are you feeding? If I start to see too much sediment or "floaters" in my water, it makes me check my log for my last partial water change. You've got quite a bit of live rock. I use a turkey baster to blast my lr and drain off as much as possible with the water change. In conjunction with that, I'll sometimes use a Magnum canister filter with a pleated micron filter to polish the water for a few hours after I'm done with the water change. This keeps things pretty decent for me.

Mvopat54
11/20/2006, 03:28 PM
I actually changed from Instant Ocean salt about 6 months ago. Im thinking I do feed to often but I never had this problem before.