PDA

View Full Version : Randy's Two Part and Algae

meschaefer
11/20/2006, 12:15 PM
Over the weekend I went on a search for the ingredients for the two part. I was able to get the Prestone Driveway Heat. In asking around my local club, I was told by one memeber that they had a problem with the prestone mixing up dirty, by wich they ment that the mixture had a brown tint to it. He bought his Prestone during the off season, so I assume that it was sitting in a warehouse or the like, for at least six months before he purchased it. My Calcium supplment did not have a brown tint to it after mixing it.

The other issue that someone had was with an severe algae bloom after using the two part. They suggested that the Calcium supplement, whether you where using Dowflake or any of the ohters needed to be baked like the baking soda in the Receipe 1 formulation. Alhtough they didn't explain how this helped.

Has anyone else had these problems? Suggestions? Comments? Neat emoticons that they have been saving for a special occasion?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/20/2006, 12:18 PM
Yes, folks using Prestone Driveway heat sometimes have a residue on the bottom, which may be iron oxide. Most folks ignore it without any apparent issue.

I've not heard of any correlation with algae, and I'm certain that the baking of the baking soda will not start or stop an algae problem. :)

meschaefer
11/20/2006, 12:24 PM
Randy thanks for the prompt response. Thought you where away.

He wasn't suggesting baking the baking soda, but rather the raw calcium materials before mixing with water. We where discussing the difference between anhydrous calcium chloride and monohydrate calcium chloride, being the presence of a molocule of water. He seemed to imply that baking it would remove that molocule of water, (although I highly doubt this) and that failure to do this is what resulted in an algae bloom.

seattlerob
11/20/2006, 12:31 PM
FWIW: I've been using Randy's 2-part recipe for a few months now and have not had any problems with algae blooms.

I am using dowflake for the Ca part. I do get an orange/brown residue on the bottom of the bucket once the solution has settled, which hasn't been a big deal as I just take from the top & avoid disturbing the residue on the bottom.

hth,
rob

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/20/2006, 12:39 PM
Randy thanks for the prompt response. Thought you where away.

I was. Came back last night. :)

Baking the calcium chloride will do nothing useful that I can imagine. Yes, you may drive out water. Then you dissolve it in water to use it. So there is no benefit.