PDA

View Full Version : Neptune AC Jr. Controller Good or Bad Idea

vin
11/20/2006, 02:15 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing this I want to know pros and cons on this.I was on their website and for a ready to go controller for $224 and another $40 for a PH Probe woundering if this is a good deal.

crumbletop
11/20/2006, 02:27 PM
It is a good deal. If you get the serial port option you get a way to do a digital input (e.g. for a float switch). You can also connect it to a PC with the free version of AquaNotes. Make sure you get it with the DC8. Sometimes places like thereefstop.com or premiumaquatics.com have specials and sell it for a little less.

dougchambers
11/20/2006, 05:07 PM
Vin - Let's start with what you want to do with a controller. The ACJr is perfect for most people, but let's talk about what you want to accomplish with your control scheme.

As for Neptune and the Aquacontrollers in general, we LOVE ours! I don't know how we lived without one so long.

-Doug

dannieboiz
11/20/2006, 06:24 PM
you just missed out. We had a GB for the ACJR remember you HAVE to get the DC8 or else you'll regret it really bad. It's $75 with the package and $175 w/o the package.

vin
11/22/2006, 01:47 PM
Do I need the Serial cable from them or can I get it from another store I only ask this for different lenghts.The other question is the PH probes whats the differents between the lab vs. standard.

dougchambers
11/22/2006, 01:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8601277#post8601277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vin
Do I need the Serial cable from them or can I get it from another store I only ask this for different lenghts.The other question is the PH probes whats the differents between the lab vs. standard. Buy the serial cable at the same time you order the controller. Running down the right connectors can be an issue at times.

-Doug

vin
11/22/2006, 02:25 PM
Their cables are only 6 feet.I'm guessing that the cable go from the controller to the computer.My computer is about 12' away.

dougchambers
11/22/2006, 02:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8601511#post8601511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vin
Their cables are only 6 feet.I'm guessing that the cable go from the controller to the computer.My computer is about 12' away. You can us a serial extension but watch for ground loop issues.

Nuuze
11/22/2006, 03:59 PM
I bought the Jr. with DC8 and pH. I think its worth it because right off the bat you will need something to controll your lights. At the same time you get temp, pH, heater, skimmer and main pump. I also have my 1/10 chiller connected for secondary backup in case the chiller controls fail along with heater. It also has a feed timer to turn off pumps/filters that you want during feeding time.