PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ goniopora and clownfish

malarkey1968
11/20/2006, 08:17 PM
Hello all!
Just got a goniopora over the weekend and now my clowns think it belongs to them. We have two anemones that they ignore (one is a bubble tip anemone and the other is a condi--we know they won't host a condi but wanted to mention it)
I have read that it can be detrimental to the goni for the clowns to mess with it. Is there anything we can do to discourage the clowns from playing in it? Or will the goni be ok? Finding a home for Nemo and Nemos Daddy is not an option---the 4 year old will be heartbroken.
Please let me know your opinions! Thanks for your help!
Chris

John Kelly
11/20/2006, 10:47 PM
Are the clownfish wallowing in it to the point where the coral isn't extending at all? If you're lucky and the clownfish are gentle, the coral may acclimate to the clownfish and extend normally, but most of the time they don't. Some people have tried moving the coral to a different location in the tank, some have placed a plastic strawberry basket over the coral until the clownfish leave it alone, some have moved the coral into the territory of another fish that will keep the clownfish away from it; the clownfish are then forced to host something else............,but most either get rid of the clownfish, get rid of the goni, or watch the goni slowly die. Unfortunately, there isn't a sure fire way of getting the clownfish out of it and into something else. The only way I can see for possibly keeping clownfish out of Goniopora is by placing the coral near a strong water flow in such a way that the coral could still extend somewhat, but the water flow would discourage a clownfish from swimming near it. I don't know if it could ever work.............its just a thought. Another thought is that there may be something that causes clownfish in general to wallow more vigorously or less vigorously; like maybe the presence of a threat might cause them to wallow more vigorously.
:confused: :confused:

Maybe play some classical music for them to relax :D.

malarkey1968
11/21/2006, 08:26 PM
WELL...tonite we restacked the rock in the tank and also moved the goni to the other end of the tank. We moved the anemones to where the goni was...and Nemo and his daddy are now playing in the anemone (along with Spotty--the damsel) and so far are leaving the goni. No...the goni is obviously ticked off but he does still extend. And, since being moved, he is fully extended and very fat and happy. So, maybe we solved the problem....I guess only time will tell.
I will put on some good jazz or something tomorrow and see if it helps....I know it makes my blood pressure go down so maybe it will settle Nemo and Daddy down too. :-)
Thanks for your advice! We look forward to meeting you on the 2nd!
Michele and Chris