PDA

View Full Version : USB Adapter

rawbomb
11/20/2006, 08:16 PM
I have the serial to USB adapter but the AQ software can not located the unit. Is there something special i must do to make this work? i just bought my unit so i only have software 3.3.1 installed along with firmware 1.24.

RobbyG
11/21/2006, 09:47 AM
Rawbomb did you install the driver for the USB adapter, before plugging it in? Windows XP is very strange about that, take a look back at the adapters manual and see if they stressed the need to install software first. (If you didn't let me know cause we are going to have to do some work to get the default windows driver uninstalled)

Secondly make sure you go into the "Settings" menu on the AQ software and set the Communication port to "Automatic"

rawbomb
11/21/2006, 05:00 PM
Hmm Windows isnt making me do any updates but the computer still isnt picking up the updates.

Captain Quirk
11/21/2006, 05:42 PM
I have the same problem. I forced the adapter to use a specific com port and told the software to use that port only. Works about half the time, if that.

Mine did not require any specific software... Am I missing something?

RonBuck
11/21/2006, 05:55 PM
The Serial to USB adapter you use to extend the serial adapter for your serial interface needs to have drivers installed, for windows to recognize the adapter. There is a signal changes when going from serial to USB and back again. Windows needs to decipher them.

Captain Quirk
11/21/2006, 06:09 PM
Pardon me: I did not need to install any THIRD PARTY drivers... XP did, in fact, install drivers for me.

I also recall searching for drivers for it, but none worked any better than the ones that came with XP.

???

RobbyG
11/21/2006, 08:51 PM
Kernalangus XP comes with drivers for most popular devices, if you are lucky windows will have a driver for your device! But for most other devices including usb-serial converters you usually have to install a driver that comes on a cd with the device or download one from the company.

The real problem is when you plug in a USB device without installing the factory driver and windows interprets the device incorrectly and uses what it thinks is the correct driver, at that point even if you try to install the correct driver you can't and the device wont work. That's why most USB devices tell you to install their provided driver before plugging the device in. Now when there driver is pre-installed you can plug in the hardware without a chance of a mess up.

ik2vov
11/22/2006, 06:13 AM
I used 2 different USB to RS232 converters with no problem, but i had to load the specific drivers for each converter.... the second converter with the drivers of the first didn't work.... i think this can be the problem.

Bye

EdMiller
11/22/2006, 08:51 AM
The USB/serial adapter that I have (not the AQ one) will only work if it is plugged in before the computer is booted up. If you plug it in when the computer is all ready on, Windows XP will recognize it, it will show up as a serial port, but will not function. After rebooting, it works fine. It has proprietary software drivers that had to be installed first as RobbyG described, but still has this quirk.

RonBuck
11/22/2006, 04:42 PM
RobbyG is correct, I don't know how to reverse the xp drivers unless you know the name of the drivers xp used.

RobbyG
11/22/2006, 05:59 PM
It can be done but it's a long post, I am kind of glad he has not asked but if he does I will post the procedure.