PDA

View Full Version : Calcuim level

onad75
11/21/2006, 03:05 AM
how to raise up your calcuim level? I been trying to raise up my CA level for the past two weeks and my reading is still around 350, I already increase my B-Ionic dosage to 60ml part A and part B and use Kalk for water evaporation. I did the test again and still the same rearing, any idea or suggetion pls.

theatrus
11/21/2006, 04:24 AM
Whats your current Alk and Magnesium?

Froggy
11/21/2006, 07:39 AM
You need to use a lot of product to raise calcium ( much more than most product label list ). To raise calcium only without affecting other parameters, you will need to add calcium chloride or its equivalent. Make sure alkalinity and magnesium are in line 1st as low Mag can prevent the ability to raise Calcium.

Ue this calculator and pick a calcium product to use and fill in the blanks to find out how much to add to reach the desired level. You can use the calcium part of B-ionic but it takes a lot and that would be $$. Good luck

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

tobyp
11/21/2006, 08:03 AM
use 2 part b-ionic i had the same problem

SEAFLOWERS
11/21/2006, 09:06 AM
if your alkalinity is good or even on the high side a bit you can get away with having a calcium reading that is a little low and still grow coral quite well. Mine is constantly around 380-400and I have very good growth on my SPS.

onad75
11/21/2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks alot for all the reply,
My Mg could be low, I dont have a test kit so i dont know what exactly my Mg at, Ill buy a Mg kit later to see where is my Mg level is. If ever i have a low Mg reading how do i raise it?
Alk 9
Sg 1.025
Ph 7
I know dosing calcuim could be to much $$ in the long run, I am trying to get my Ca reactor by new year, hopefully my wife give me that for Christmas :D

Thanks

onad75
11/21/2006, 11:01 AM
one more thing... I am using IO salt, do you think that could be another factor why my Ca is low?

Paulairduck
11/21/2006, 01:44 PM
It is easier to do a large water to raise your calcium, that throwing all the b ionic in the water and spendind a lot of money. I would deffinitely mix a large batch of salwater, maybe 25 % and then after it is mixed, check all levels of the new water. That could be your problem, need to use a different salt, Plus your tank will be very happy to, water changes are always good!!

onad75
11/21/2006, 02:07 PM
Thats what im thinking, i think i need to change try differnt salt maybe TM pro it coast double compare to IO but thats ok. I only do 10g water change every week using IO . I will test again my Ca after i switch to TM.
Thanks

ram6519
11/21/2006, 03:21 PM
I have been using IO and can not get my Ca to get about 320 and that is the make up water before it is even added to the tank. I will be switching to something else by this weekend.

Paulairduck
11/21/2006, 03:31 PM
I use reef crystals, and get very good results with this salt

newnano
11/21/2006, 03:58 PM
as far as dosing being expensive ..you can do it cheaply. dose prestone driveway salt for CA and baking soda for your alk. i also use kent dkh superbuffer. it dissolves better than baking soda. i also dose kalk.

using b ionic it will get expensive

northbay-reefer
11/21/2006, 04:33 PM
Use turbo calcium to raise your calcium level, also use turbo calcium and epsom salt to raise calcium level and magnesium level in the IO make up water before doing any water change.

if you can't seem to rasie the calcium level, then make sure to check your magnesium.

Froggy
11/21/2006, 04:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8594688#post8594688 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newnano
as far as dosing being expensive ..you can do it cheaply. dose prestone driveway salt for CA and baking soda for your alk. i also use kent dkh superbuffer. it dissolves better than baking soda. i also dose kalk.

using b ionic it will get expensive

I agree. The only way dosing calcium to raise your levels will be pricey is by using B-ionic to raise it 50 PPM in an established tank. I personally use and also reccomend Prestone driveway heat ( it is just Calcium chloride ) and can be found at hardware stores, especially this time of year in the cold parts of the country as it is a De-icer. Make sure to get the Prestone driveway heat as it is safe to use in reef tanks and not all de-icers are. It is basically the same thing as Kents turbo calcium but a lot cheaper. A small container of Turbo calcium will run you $15.00 and a huge jug of Prestone will cost you $5.00 and will last a long long time. Also search the chemistry forum to find Randy's homemade calcium /alkalinity supplement. Easy to make youself with Prestone and baking soda. I have been using it for over a year instead of B-ionic and it works great. No more dropping loads of cash to dose the tank with a pricey 2 part supplement. :)

JollyGreen
11/21/2006, 06:21 PM
I too, just realized that Instant Ocean (IO) was causing chronically low calcium, it was around 300. I went and bought a magnesium test kit and it was around 900-1000, which is low, it should be 1250-1350.

I started adding Tech M magnesium supplment and Tech CB, just the calcium, part A, and also did two water changes with Coral Life Salt and it came back up to 1300 Magnesium and 400 calcium.

I was also testing the coral life calcium content and it was like 500-550 or more. That's probably why it came up with only two water changes.

I think a lot of these salts have very random mixes of elements, I've heard TM Pro Reef (Tropic Marine) has a pretty stable mix. I'm going to try that for my next salt.

JG

StrategicReef
11/23/2006, 10:28 AM
What kind of Mg Test kit did you get? The Seachem one cost like $26 and test other stuff too and that is online not LFS price. Yikes

My Evil Z
11/24/2006, 08:57 AM
I just mixed a 32 gallon batch of Reef Crystals that's been
stirring for 48 hours.

Temp. 80.0
PH 8.3
SG 1.026
Alk 11.6 dkh
Mg 1340 ppm
Ca 410 ppm

I find it pretty consistence every time I mix some up (HTH)

StrategicReef
11/24/2006, 01:49 PM
I get 350 CA with my Reef Crystals, I have to spike the CA myself. Some people have reported this too. I don't like the inconsistency..

onad75
11/24/2006, 08:26 PM
Ok.. I test my Mg and it is low, so i think that must be the problem, I did 20g water change the other day using TM pro and I am used Seachem MG and CA buffer. I will test again my water this weekends if there is any changes in my CA.

Thanks