PDA

View Full Version : Leveling a large tank

graphixx22
11/21/2006, 12:11 PM
I am just about ready to drop the tank on the new stand, I have heard that people will use a styrofoam pad under the tank to kind of self level the tank. I am sure I am gonna have a little leveling to do (nothing is perfect) Has anybody ever done this before????? this is a 280 gallon tank.
THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS
THANKS

mflamb
11/21/2006, 12:21 PM
The foam under the tank is used to reduce stress points on the glass, so you don't get stress cracks and seam separation.
Mike

jay24k
11/21/2006, 12:39 PM
It is only used if it doesn't have an outside plastic trim. If it is completely flat, then using foam is fine. Otherwise I would only shim it on the edges of the tank and not underneath the center.

mcrist
11/21/2006, 01:14 PM
I would check with the manufacturer before considering using a foam/styrofoam pad. I know with Oceanic it will void your warranty.

graphixx22
11/21/2006, 06:37 PM
now if you shim, I heard that will put stress on the stand. I dont this I will be much off, but I rather be safe than sorry. I really dont want to wake up in the middle of the night to a crash and a flash flood in my living room.

jay24k
11/22/2006, 06:48 AM
Not sure how you can really put stress on a stand with hundreds or even thousands of pounds on it.

It's been stated on here plenty of times.

Acrylic tanks - foam is fine.
Glass - no foam if it has the plastic edge unless it is under that only
Glass - foam if no plastic trim on bottom at all.

If you are looking to level it, I would level the stand, not the tank on the stand. Use quality shims underneath if needed.