PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Mudd

gdwats
11/21/2006, 07:40 PM
Has anyone tried using "refugium mud" , or know of pro's and con's ...I'd olve to hear about it. Thinkning about trying it out..

Greg:)

nathan_unsane
11/21/2006, 07:52 PM
ive used it in my display tank...

if you don't mix the to much... you can get it to layer with black mud, and the white sand and it looks pretty cool...

i havn't had any problems with it....

no cons here....

but i don't even know what it's supposed to be used for... i got mine off ebay thinking it was sand... and end up being black nasty mud...

Lunchbucket
11/21/2006, 07:53 PM
i think it is "snake oil". it is isn't needed or beneficial IMO

Lunchbucket

fishysteve
11/22/2006, 07:28 AM
I've used it in my fuge for years. A layer of Kent's Biosediment and a layer of mud on top. The caulerpa and mangrove seem to like it. The mud is supposed to release trace elements into the water over time.

bureau13
11/22/2006, 07:55 AM
This is purely anecdotal of course, but I've used "refugium mud" of various types and never had to dose iron to keep my macroalgae looking nice and green. I know some running bare bottom refugiums have had chaeto turn yellow and not grow until they started dosing iron.

jds

3D-Reef
11/22/2006, 08:36 PM
Mud in general will release iron and other nutrients needed for plant/algae growth.Also,it will bind phosphates from the water.So it needs replaced once every couple of years.

old salty
11/22/2006, 11:36 PM
All the bugs in my fuge seem to have made the mud bed their home. As for it's worth in the large scheme of things, I really don't know.