PDA

View Full Version : How am I supposed to do this?

Abraham1907
11/21/2006, 09:31 PM
Ok, I have a 25 gal eclipse tank, and I want a fuge, but I don't want to cut it all apart and take out the stock filter. Has anybody ever done this? I know it's possible if you cut your tank up, but that seems like a waste of money. I don't have room for an overflow, so what do I do?

The only way I can think of to do it is if I could somehow put a pump in my tank to move water down into my stand where I would have a 10 gallon tank and then another pump to bring water back up. In this case I would have to put in an emergency float switch just incase one of my pumps died. Also, does anybody know how to figure out the gph you need to pump water back up to the tank? Because if I had the same flow rate up and down, the fuge would overflow b/c it takes more work to pump water uphill.

liferunner2
11/22/2006, 12:12 AM
You could put the fuge above it and gravity feed it back

Henry Bowman
11/22/2006, 07:33 AM
I have read before and agree that trying to get 2 pumps to overflow and return water from a tank to a fuge / sump is dangerous. You are trusting too much to pumps that get debris in them on a regular basis and impede their flow. Seems it would be real tough to keep them in synch.

Abraham1907
11/26/2006, 02:54 PM
liferunner... Like I stated above, the tank is in the middle of my living room, and I want it to look as clean as possible, so an above tank fuge isn't possible.

Henry... I understand what your saying, but with the two overflow swithches (one to make sure the water doesn't get too high, and one to make sure it doesn't get too low) wouldn't it be ok if one got clogged. Say the return gets clogged, the fuge would fill up and the switch would turn the pumps off. If the pump that brings the water from the tank gets jammed, the water level goes down, and the switch would turn the pumps off.

There is still the chance of something going wrong, but isn't there in all fuge systems?

Henry Bowman
11/26/2006, 03:03 PM
Sounds like you have it figured out. IF I was going to utilize the 2 pump method, I would use the switches similarly to how you have it configured.