PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove Xenia from a rock?

Lydo
11/22/2006, 06:29 AM
hey guys, I have a small frag of xenia that I would like to remove from a small rock because I found a small patch of Aiptasia on it. How can I remove the xenia from that rock so I cook the Aiptasia?

Or is there a better way to get rid of Aiptasia? I just got that frag last night so I know it's the only rock with Aiptasia in my tank.

Shooter7
11/22/2006, 07:23 AM
I have had luck with peppermint shrimp eating the aiptasia. Berghia nudibranch can be used as well. People also use things like Joe's Juice, kalk paste, and white vinegar to kill them. I have used vinegar before and would say that if you are going to try that route and can remove the rock from the display easily, I would do it in a separate container of saltwater. Reason being because when I injected the vinegar into the mouth area of the anemone, it fragmented and little pieces of it floated off....and started several other aiptasias.

You can remove the xenia from the rock pretty easily by simply cutting it off, but xenia doesn't like being messed with. It will shrink up, be extra slimey and smelly, and can be hard to get it to attach just where you want it otherwise. If you attempt to do this, I also advise you not do it in the tank but in a separate container of water.

Lydo
11/22/2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the repply. I think I'll try the vinegar since I can remove the rock very easy and just inject the aiptasia. It's a small rock maybe 1.5" square so it's not a problem. I hope the aiptasia doesn't spread in a day.

There is something else on that rock that looks sorta like hair algea but it has a pick bulb on the end. I'll try and get a pic of it tonight to see if you guys can Identify it.

Shooter7
11/22/2006, 08:05 AM
:lol: Maybe you should just move that frag onto another rock!

Lydo
11/22/2006, 10:44 AM
yeah No kidding. I regret not putting it in QT that's for sure. At least I noticed it already and it won't have a chance to be in there 24hrs.

king1522
11/24/2006, 09:09 PM
Joe's Juice

demonsp
11/24/2006, 09:25 PM
You couold inject aptesia with high calcium water with suringe or lime juice. Inject in center and it will wither.But i think removing frag would be best.