PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Margin Trigger

Scrumf
11/22/2006, 07:43 AM
I had a nice set up going with my algae control with snail's,hermit's etc. my tank was clean as can be. Then i added the yellow margin trigger. I forgot all about them eating invert's so my clean up crew is almost gone. My question is is there any type of clean up crew that the trigger won't eat like maybe a giant sea hare or like doing water changes every week or 2. To control the algae growth. I would hate to go backward's again with the algae control. Any advise would be great thank's

D659600
11/22/2006, 08:13 AM
Scrap and start running phos guard. If you have a sump put some cheato in and do 10% to 15% water changes every week.
Or you could try to get a fox fish if your trigger is small enough...... that looks a litttle confusing. If your trigger is small enough try to find a fox fish that is bigger than him. he will eat alage. I have a problem just the opposite of yours. I want to grow lots of alage and I cant.

Scrumf
11/22/2006, 08:35 AM
I have some fish that eat algae 2 rabbit fish and 2 tangs a naso and convict. What is Cheato??

D659600
11/22/2006, 08:54 AM
It is a marine plant that helps keep nitrates down and controls some alages. Your tangs will love to eat this stuff. It looks like a big ball of fishing line that has bird nested and is green. There is a section where you can read up on lots of different kinds of marine plants. Good section. I have noticed that alot of people use plants to control nitrates. I would be fighting a losing battle cause I use a commercial bio-wheel. It really helps to keep a heavy bio-load.
You may also want to limit the time you lights are on. And if your bulbs are old this could be the cause of over growth too. What lights do your have on your tank?
Oh I just thought of fish that might help ......Kole tang or some sort of bristle tooth tang. One more question how bad is your alage growth-green rock, slimey rock, fuzzy rock,long wavy green hair rock?

Scrumf
11/22/2006, 09:01 AM
I have no algae growt at all at this time because of the snail's i just got the trigger and he's slowly eating my snail but once there gone the algae will come back. My rock is beautiful lot's of purple and green all the good algae you want to grow it's the problem later that will come back like the algae on the glass and the back of the tank where only snail's can get to. I have a giant sea hare coming today so let's see what he can do hopefully the trigger will not bother him. Also where can i buy this plant you are talking about and what was it's name.

D659600
11/22/2006, 09:58 AM
The actual name is Chaetomorpha Algae. Most LFS can get it but if you want marine depot live does carry it most of the time. There is this red stuff that some tangs for bonkers for, I just dont know the name. You may also check in the Macroalgae and Marine Plant section about 3/4 of the way down in the forums and see if anyone is selling or giving away any chaeto, you will just have to pay the shipping cost. Might end up being real inexpensive that way. I hope for your sake that your trigger does not mess with your sea hare. Sea hares are so pretty.