PDA

View Full Version : Adding New Fish: How Many at at Time?

Dazed And Confused
11/22/2006, 08:28 AM
I have an established 140 gallon reef tank with a Kole Tang, Diamond Goby, Coral Beauty, Flame Hawk, Red Firefish and pair of Clowns. Yesterday I got a few new fish from a local reefer who was breaking his tank down. They included a mature YWG who's paired with a Banded Coral Shrimp (I hope the Flame Hawk doesn't make a meal out of this guy!), Strawberry Pseudo and Bicolor Blenny. I acclimated them and added them last night just before lights out. I also bought a nano for my office from another reefer and it has a small Hippo Blue Tang, Signal Goby and small blenny in it. I want to move the tang to my reef tank and keep the small guys in the nano. Should I wait for the newest additions to get established or go ahead and add the blue so everybody's on equal footing in a new home?
I don't normally add this much at once, just got the chance to pick up some of my favorite fish for great deals so I decided to go for it.
Thanks for your help!

Keiths_Reefs
11/22/2006, 09:30 AM
I'd give it a week since the hippo is far more assertive than any of your other new additions. Be prepared for your Kole to give him some flack when put in though. With that said:

1.) Yes, the hawk will most likely eventually get the shrimp.

2.) Who in the heck puts a tang of any size in a nano? I'm not much for the tang police but I'm glad to hear your "fellow reefer" is getting rid of the tank.

Dazed And Confused
11/22/2006, 10:11 AM
He has a 240, the tang was just in the nano for a short time and was to eventually make it into the big tank but I turned him into a bargaining chip on the nano sale. The kole is such a peace loving guy and bothers nobody but I understand he may harrass the blue for a while. My 140 is 5' long with plenty of live rock and places for the tang to hide from the kole.
Thanks for the help! By the way, the paired YWG and shrimp have found a home - the exact spot where the YWG that I lost a couple of weeks ago had lived, perfect spot for viewing.

Keiths_Reefs
11/22/2006, 10:15 AM
Cool, you have plenty of room for the 2 tangs then. Glad the YH and shrimp settled in. Hopefully the Goby will be able to defend his buddy.