PDA

View Full Version : need sump size opinions

Steverino
11/22/2006, 12:04 PM
My tank holds 76 gallons, although with live rock and sand and a few fish, the actual water is proably close to around 60 gallons? So, how do I decide how many gallons for a sump? It will be a HOB overflow leading down under the cabinet. Depending on the size i need, I might use an old glass tank, or I might get an acrylic box, or might make one myself. How does one decide what size sump and refugium will work with a normally stocked tank? As for livestock, I have a few fish -2 clowns, 2 cardinals, wrasse, gramma, and and slowly growing my meager collection of mushrooms, feather duster, and a few polyps/zoas. I would like to get an BTA-anemone for the clowns when my lighting is upgraded, and probably a larger collection of zoas/shrooms/softies.

Agu
11/22/2006, 12:30 PM
It needs to be big enough for any equipment you may have there and excess water from the tank in case of a power failure. usual answer is the biggest sump you can fit in the stand :lol:

Steverino
11/22/2006, 12:38 PM
I am calculating about 6 gallons as the amount of water in the case of a total collapse of all the backup flood control I plan to do and a complete power outage, so perhaps a tank the size of a 20 would do the job. I was also interested from the viewpoint of the amount of sapce for chaeto, live sand, copepods and whatnot.

PatMayo
11/22/2006, 12:42 PM
It's quite simple as stated prevously, get the biggest that will fit in your stand. Dilution is the solution to pollution. The more water you can get in your system the better off you are.

Regards,

Pat

ps: I have a 30 gallon for my 90. I wish it were bigger.

coseal
11/22/2006, 12:42 PM
im kinda new to salt myself but i think sump size depends alot on the equipment you plan to run in it! ie. skimmer(footprint size), return pump,refugium, etc... i will tell you what i have found from my exp the bigger the return section of your sump the happier you will be! i have a 20long on my 75 and am switching it to a 30gal tonight. just for more room.

didnt see agu's above post ! also you want some room between the water lvl in the drain section and the top of the sump. i didnt take that into consideration and have water and saltspray everywhere in my stand...