PDA

View Full Version : A question for wavebox owners.

jjjimmy
11/22/2006, 12:49 PM
I have a standard AGA 180RR with the corner overflows. I am picking up a Tunze wavebox and am curious if any one had to lower their water level in their tank to allow for the wave action. If you did, how did you lower the water level?

Jimmy

corndogg
11/22/2006, 01:06 PM
I have a 210 which is almost the same size tank (just 5" taller) and had no problems when I put one in. You can adjust the wave wave height with the controller so you shouldn't have any problems.

I actually tried to raise my water level because I hated how you could see the waterline under the canopy when the wave surged.

Wryknow
11/22/2006, 02:11 PM
You may have to turn down the potentiometer a bit if the waves start getting too high for your tank. Mine runs at about 90% of the maiximum power and I get a good 1.5 - 2" wave in my 215. I had a small problem with occassional splashes running over the corner on one end (that was slightly less than level because of the floor) and I applied a little silicon caulk to prevent leaks.

If you need to lower the water level then you will have to lower the bottom level of the overflow teeth. You could use a dremel or something similar I guess to drill them down a little further but it's not something that I would want to try to to myself or recommend to others unless you have acrylic overflows.

guido_kp
11/22/2006, 03:18 PM
i have one in my 75 oceanic with a syphon overflow...didnt have to lower the internal box but i do agree with corndogg in that it is mildly annoying to see the waterline during surges. it dips a good inch below the canopy on the trough of the wave. i just live with it though, didnt want to test fate by lowering the box only to find out my sump wouldnt handle the extra water in the event of a power outage.

reefez
11/22/2006, 04:19 PM
You all feel comphortable running a wave box on glass tanks? I would be nervous unless it was overbuilt. Like 3/4 in. glass. It seems like a lot of added stress on a tank with a wave sloshing around in there.