PDA

View Full Version : please help!!! frogspawn,hammers dying

robertgangly
11/22/2006, 01:31 PM
please any help would be apricated my cal is 480 ,sal is 1.024 ph is 8.2 temp is 79-80 alk is fine not sure of the # but it is good nit is 0 amon is 0 and still all my frogspawns and hammers are dying i have noticed some red bugs or somthing around the bottem of the corrals i think the are flat worms other than that everything else is fine all my sps are just fine and some of the corrals that have died i have had for years i also noticed that on some of them that they have a soft spot in the structure one day they are fine the next day all the tissue is hanging off of them any help on what could cause this???? and how to fix it i have lost about 30 heads on various corrals and 2 wall hammers thanks for any help

blange3
11/22/2006, 02:04 PM
How long has it taken to lose 30 heads? Got any pictures?

Any recent changes to the tank? What kind of fish do you have?

Any signs of brown jelly?

robertgangly
11/22/2006, 02:32 PM
it has been over the last two weeks, no brown jelly the only changes where two of my lights i changed from 20k to 14k and the fish are 5 clowns 3 perc and 2 clarki ,a sailfin tang,a spotted sweatlips,2 yellow gobys, 2 engineer gobys,a corral beauty , 3 cleaner shrimp,a black blennie,a lawnmower blennie, ill try to get some pics

David Grigor
11/22/2006, 03:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8601555#post8601555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robertgangly
the only changes where two of my lights i changed from 20k to 14k

I assume your talking about MHs, what wattage are you using ? What acclimation procedures did you use when changing the lights ? Generally lower the K will produce more intensity and could definately have a negative impact on LPS if not acclimated.

Thhitman
11/22/2006, 03:51 PM
I had a infestation of flatworms that were worrying my hammers and frogspawn (seven of them) to the point I believe if I hadn't gotten rid of the worms, they would have died.

5 days from when I noticed it till I treated and killed them and the hammers and spawn were about 85% withered. Nothing else really looked all that bad except mushrooms were a little smaller than normal.

Corals just kept shrinking and shrinking. The flatworms were almost impossible to see on the tentacles of the corals, but take a close look (I had to use a magnifying glass). They appeared to be brown spots and if they are numerous, I really believe they could kill soft corals.

As soon as I treated and killed the flatworms, the corals were back to normal in four or five days.

robertgangly
11/23/2006, 12:22 AM
well thanks i think this is the case i have a lot of flat worms what did you use to get rid of them??? i have some flat worm exit but i am a little worried about using it thanks

Justin74
11/23/2006, 04:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8604898#post8604898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robertgangly
well thanks i think this is the case i have a lot of flat worms what did you use to get rid of them??? i have some flat worm exit but i am a little worried about using it thanks

I really dont :(

Thhitman possibly, but really unlikely. They have to be on pretty thick, and I think it would bleach before it would just wither its heads off, that sounds like other reasons and they may have been just guilty by association.Just my opinion though. Kinda like the crab that ate the fish, but really just died and he was just caught eating the carcass when you came by and looked type thing goin on.

I just recently witnessed heads of my frogspawn of couple years wither down to one and half, turns out I just wasnt paying attention to the flow and the lack there of. So when everything else checks out make sure those polyps are waving! ;)

-Justin

SINNERMF
11/25/2006, 01:49 PM
The best way to get rid of Flatworms is a Velvet Nudibranch. My 55 gallon was swamped with flat worms, I got 2 nudis and they decimated the population in no time. Also flatworms can't hang around in stronger current. A buddy of mine would take a small powerhead, blast sections of his tank. He made a "custom" net out of pantyhose and he would go through the area he just blasted to get the flatworms while they floated around. Just my 2 cents.

baldbloke
11/25/2006, 05:15 PM
whats your ca and mg+p04 mate?, sounds a bit more sinister than a low element imo for 30 heads to pop!!:eek2: