PDA

View Full Version : Food for copper banded butterfly

gibson981
11/22/2006, 05:07 PM
What foods does everyone feed their copper banded butterflies? I was under the impression that they ate mostly meaty foods.

PUGroyale
11/22/2006, 05:12 PM
I got one about 10 days ago... was eating well at the LFS and had been in the store for a couple of weeks [important you check this prior to getting one IMO] The mysis was a little big for it and it wouldn't touch krill so I went to smaller sized brine shrimp and it's getting fat off of it :)

sunfishh
11/22/2006, 08:22 PM
From what I have read worms are a major component of their diet

Outerbank
11/22/2006, 08:31 PM
They will gobble up very small pieces of scallops. Just buy some cheap fresh bay scallops and cut them into small pieces. I always made my own food for my CBB. Fine chop or puree a 1:1 mixture of fresh scallops and shrimp. Crush and dissolve a multivitamen in some water. Add a little of the vitamin water to the puree (you don't need to add it all as I get a little afraid of using too many vitamins). You can add a little more water if needed. Then put this mixture in a ziplock, flatten the mix, and freeze. When I feed the fish, I cut small pieces, thaw in water, and feed. It should stay in the size chunk you want as you thaw it. Many picky eaters will gobble this up.

You can add some nori to the mix if you haeve other fish that will benefit from nori. Trust me, all your fish will eat this mixture.

They should also eat brine shrimp, but it is nowhere near as nutricous as the recipe above.

sunfishh
11/24/2006, 02:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8603564#post8603564 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Outerbank
It should stay in the size chunk you want as you thaw it. Many picky eaters will gobble this up.

You can add some nori to the mix if you haeve other fish that will benefit from nori. Trust me, all your fish will eat this mixture.

They should also eat brine shrimp, but it is nowhere near as nutricous as the recipe above.

This sounds like all around good stuff :) Thanks for the recipe. I was wondering if you supplement your brine shrimp before you feed them to your fish? If so with what?

dhoch
11/24/2006, 08:36 AM
I do something similar now... what mine likes is a mixture of shellfish: mussels, clams, oysters...

I mix together, add some pellet/flake filler and some selecon, blend and freeze in bags... mine loves the stuff...

I make a more generic recepie (including shell fish, white fish, flake, cyclopeeze and all kinds of stuff) for my general tank.

Dave

Dave

Outerbank
11/24/2006, 07:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8610948#post8610948 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhoch
I do something similar now... what mine likes is a mixture of shellfish: mussels, clams, oysters...

I mix together, add some pellet/flake filler and some selecon, blend and freeze in bags... mine loves the stuff...

I make a more generic recepie (including shell fish, white fish, flake, cyclopeeze and all kinds of stuff) for my general tank.

Dave

Dave

I agree with Dave. This is very similar to what I do. The protein of this mix blows away frozen mysis or brine shrimp. I have found out that not all my fish like "fish" in the mix. Others do. The CBB really seem to like the shellfish.