PDA

View Full Version : Color food for baby clowns

OrionN
11/22/2006, 05:11 PM
Clown breeders,
What is/are the food or combination of foods you feed you baby clowns to bring out their best color and growth?
I am using Omega One Super Color Flake plus some old flakes and frozen mysis. I just wonder if there is anything else I can use to increase the color of my fish. They are growing fast and seem to have very good coloration.
TIA

55semireef
11/22/2006, 05:16 PM
I know there is a certain type of plankton you can buy that brings out the orange in clownfish. They eat this plankton in the wild.

EMBRYOGUY
11/22/2006, 06:51 PM
orion

i mix blood worms and freeze dried baby plankton soaked in selcon to my feeding routine.

but if yours are growing fast with good color you seem to be doing fine :)

MarinaP
11/22/2006, 07:03 PM
Oto+frozen cp

OrionN
11/22/2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks. Keep it coming. I may just get everything (suggested here) and mix them together.

phender
11/22/2006, 09:25 PM
When I was raising ocellaris, I used Vibra-Gro. I had the brightest/darkest CB clowns around.
My orange skunks colored up pretty well with frozen cyclop-eeze and Formula 1 flake.

OrionN
11/22/2006, 11:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8603916#post8603916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phender
When I was raising ocellaris, I used Vibra-Gro. I had the brightest/darkest CB clowns around.
My orange skunks colored up pretty well with frozen cyclop-eeze and Formula 1 flake.
Does anybody sell Vibra-gro anymore? I am looking for this food but not able to find them.

EMBRYOGUY
11/23/2006, 06:58 AM
orion, sorry forgot to mention that the blood worms are long, so i would cut them up into small pieces first, depending on how small the clowns where.

i also have also used, high-end color enhancing, crushed koi food :)

i also gave mysis shrimp covered in cyclopeeze.

OrionN
11/23/2006, 07:05 AM
I also use cyclopeeze but they are so fine that I am not sue how much the clown eat and how much got blown around the tank and mess up the water (or feed the filter feeders)
Huey, I think dip the mysis in it is a good idea.
I may try to mix cyclopeeze in egg white (mostly protein), then dry and crush them to get them to stay together. From all indication, this can really add color to the fish.

EMBRYOGUY
11/23/2006, 07:32 AM
this sounds crazy but what i do is thaw out some frozen mysis and try to cut off all the heads and tails. i do this bec i think for baby clowns its more diff. for them to swallow the food. the middle part of the shrimp is softer. i than just add a few big pieces of cyclo., a few drops of selcon, garlic.

mix it around until the shrimp becomes all red/orange :) if not, i ll add some more cyclo. until it is.

there are actually two sizes of mysis you can buy. if you buy the smaller ones, than its not necessary to cut the heads/tails off.

now i use a big bowl and mix all this together, with blood worms etc. and than aliquot it into small cryovials. than when i need it i just thaw it out in a cup of water.

bec of my small tanks, i only give them this about 1 or 2 times a week. the rest of the time i just use formula 1 /2 , 3-4 times a day, and small dose of frozen cyclo once a day.

you should try to cut off your pumps if your worried about the cyclo blowing away. my clowns are so tamed i feed them directly. so the cyclo doesnt get a chance to blow off fast before they eat it.

its like marinating steak :) if you keep the cyclo drenched on the shrimp in refrig. longer than it might soak better :)

good luck

EMBRYOGUY
11/23/2006, 07:41 AM
but to be honest, rodonyx has a food mixture he makes that seems to push out very good color. his baby clowns are some of the best colored ones ive ever seen. and i cant imagine its bec he has good genetics only. i know he gives them his mixture as soon as they can eat it. so by the time they reach the size which he sells, they ve had a good amt of his food.

mbunaman
11/23/2006, 09:13 AM
I think the Vibra-Gro is being sold as ORA-GLO. Since ORA developed the food for Red Sea and they marketed it. I would watch out for Koi feed since it is high in wheat germ and other wheat fillers. May cause bacterial infections like bloat in Marine Fish. I know the color enhancing ingredient for Koi is spilurina. Maybe you can buy some spilurina powder and maybe natura-rose which is another algae based powder which increase nice coloration.

phender
11/23/2006, 10:36 AM
He is a link to some Vibra-gro. Its seems to have been discontinued.
http://www.buypetsupply.com/shopping/Fish/Feeding/Shop-By-Brand/Vibragro/53280.htm

Vibra-Gro was developed by Harbor Branch research. After a few years Red Sea started marketing it. It does appear that ORA now has the rights and is selling it as ORA-Glo.