PDA

View Full Version : Loosing my birdsnest

Deuce67
11/23/2006, 08:20 AM
My birdsnest is RTNing fast. I cut most of the dead parts off but there is still plenty dead ones still left. I may have to pull out the whole thing and salvage what I can. For those who gotten a birdsnest frag from me, I may have to hit you up someday for a frag. This sucks since its a pink with purple polyps and green hues type of birdsnest. I was gonna bring some to the swap but I have to scrap that idea now.

reefkoi
11/23/2006, 09:22 AM
that really sucks, how long have you had it? do you have any clues as to why its got the RTN? I think this is an infectious desease right? so would it have came in on one of the ULT. frags possibly?
Chris

Deuce67
11/23/2006, 09:34 AM
I have had this birdsnest for over 2 years now. Raised it from a 1" frag. It was about 6 to 7" across. I had to cut off 1/2 of it. Not sure what the cause was. I think lack of flow may have caused it. It just got so dense that flow on the back side of it hardly exist. I dont think I got a desease from UF. Hard to say. Ill check parameters sometime today. One thing about sps is they will just TN for reasons unknown.

reefkoi
11/23/2006, 09:55 AM
o.k. yeah I forgot about the flow, I have read these guys do need a bunch. good luck with it
Chris

Crit21
11/23/2006, 10:07 AM
What about removing it to a bucket and dipping it in Reef Dip? Also, if you need any, I have that Lugols and Paraguard. Call me if you want it. Do you want people to keep frags?
Dan
494-1134

Deuce67
11/23/2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks Dan but Ill salvage something out of this. Ill frag it out in big pieces and sell it if it survives. Sps dont react well to dips especially lugols.

Crit21
11/23/2006, 10:26 AM
I didn't think they had a problem with potassium iodide.
Maybe you want to trade a frag for a big frag of my birdsnest? It seems I owe you quite a bit lately.
Did you move any of your powerheads before it happened? I put the RCmod head too close to an acro and within minutes it was losing tissue. Until then I thought it only happened with the jets of water from an unmodified powerhead.

Crit21
11/23/2006, 10:48 AM
Anyway, call me if you need anything at all today. I'm 10 minutes away.

Deuce67
11/23/2006, 11:02 AM
Its all good Dan. I ripped it out and fragged a few pieces. Big and small. I kept a good size one and will remount it on its original spot. I think it just got way too dense that it wasnt getting any flow. No biggie. If this piece survives, Ill do something different as far as giving it flow.

COreefer
11/23/2006, 11:03 AM
This is strange, because opart of my pink birds nest I got from you Russ RTN's some yesterday...fortunately I cut the infected part and it has stopped for now.

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles...justs check everything I guess. RTN is difficult to pinpoit sometimes. Could be alleopathy with all of the corals you have in there. :)

Deuce67
11/23/2006, 11:06 AM
It could be alleopathy. I just tested and parameters are in check. Hmmm. Gotta love the challenge of an sps tank.

Crit21
11/23/2006, 01:45 PM
alleopathy--that means your thank has too many SPS? Put me on the list! LOL

Salsalito25
11/23/2006, 02:34 PM
Let me know Russ... I have a fealing i will be shuttin down my tank and you have first dibbs on your Birds nest..!!! I will keep you all posted on when the shut down will begin.... For all whos curious its a 70gal every thing must go......

Crit21
11/23/2006, 02:51 PM
What fish and corals do you have?

Salsalito25
11/23/2006, 03:06 PM
GIve me some time today and i "should" be able to get a updated pic on my tank to day... So that every one can see.... But fish are as follows... 1 ea Sargassum trigger "completly reef safe" 1ea fire fish... 1 ea coral Beauty ... 1 ea sandsifter gobbie... 1ea horse shoe crabb.. 2 ea cleaner shrimp..... now corals i will have to get back on that..... I tend to forget what all i have...hahaha its not much but still forget....

normanviking
11/25/2006, 11:22 AM
Russ that sucks. The one you gave me is doing great. I am sure you can salvage yours. Just let me know if you want a piece back. You should come by and check out my corals. The colors are awesome right now. I am so happy with myself. I have no clue what to attribute it to though. lol Luck