PDA

View Full Version : Some disturbing stuff! Altered oceans

kryppy
11/23/2006, 10:35 PM
I love our good old Hollywood Beach,FL sewer pipe to the ocean as the lead photo.

"97% of the elkhorn and staghorn coral off of South Florida has disappeared since 1975.."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oceans/la-oceans-series,0,7842752.special

rcypert
11/23/2006, 11:05 PM
I want to keep elkhorn acropora in my tank in case the species becomes extinct. where can i find a fragment of this coral?

msuzuki126
11/23/2006, 11:09 PM
Horrible.

sean48183
11/23/2006, 11:23 PM
I think these scientists could learn from us hobbyist. First to cure the algae problem you have to give the algae a place to grow preferably then on the reef. Where this sewage pipe pumps water into the ocean you should create a shallow trough area with some kind of mat that allows this algae to grow. Once a month go through and pull the mats out and empty the algae into a big dumpster and start again. By the time this water runs thru this area and out in to the ocean it will be treated of all nitrogen and phosphurous compounds. Nothing eats crap like hair algae. I grow it in my fuge and even with a heavy fish load and feeding scedule i have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. As for the cyno treat it with lots of antibiotic. Stuff crumbles like nothing from this stuff. I'll fix it. Where do I sign up.

kryppy
11/24/2006, 12:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8610013#post8610013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sean48183
I think these scientists could learn from us hobbyist. First to cure the algae problem you have to give the algae a place to grow preferably then on the reef. Where this sewage pipe pumps water into the ocean you should create a shallow trough area with some kind of mat that allows this algae to grow. Once a month go through and pull the mats out and empty the algae into a big dumpster and start again. By the time this water runs thru this area and out in to the ocean it will be treated of all nitrogen and phosphurous compounds. Nothing eats crap like hair algae. I grow it in my fuge and even with a heavy fish load and feeding scedule i have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. As for the cyno treat it with lots of antibiotic. Stuff crumbles like nothing from this stuff. I'll fix it. Where do I sign up.

LOL, that pipe dumps millions of gallons a day into the ocean. Look at the outflow in the picture.
As for antibiotics, the bill for a cyano treatment for the Atlantic would cost more than Iraq..and considering cyano is one of the oldest organisms on earth, I'm sure it would adapt anyway.

pete620
11/24/2006, 01:39 AM
The problem is not just point source pollution like the pipe, its also non point source pollution, like run off from parking lots. The answer, at least in part, is good conservation practices. Don't constanly fertalize your lawn, or wash you car (soap is very detrimental to aquatic ecosystems), support environmentaly sound farming practices, and so on. Just because you live hundreds of miles from an ocean does not mean what you do has no effect, almost all terrestrial water runoff will eventually reach the ocean.

HippieSmell
11/24/2006, 10:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8610013#post8610013 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sean48183
That's an awesome idea, but I call them wetlands ;) . Too bad we tend to build strip malls over these "wastelands".

UrbanSage
11/24/2006, 11:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8609942#post8609942 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rcypert
I want to keep elkhorn acropora in my tank in case the species becomes extinct. where can i find a fragment of this coral?

Currently you can't. As far as I know it is a species when if found in your possession you will be fined.