PDA

View Full Version : Need Some help setting up a propagation tank.

got2lb
11/24/2006, 12:47 PM
Need help getting started.

This is still kind of in the planning stages but I'm thinking about setting up a small prop. system in my basement. To start out with I'll probably have some xenia, anthelia, zoas, shrooms and some leathers in there. Then will probably move up to some LPS.

I have 2 tanks I can use that measure 10" wide x 8" tall x 50" long.

I'll probably only have 1 up at first then eventually when i get more corals I'll hook up the other one to the system. I'll probably be using some sort of rubbermaid container for a sump. I have plenty of LR rubble I can throw in there to get things started as well as buckets full of cheato.

What kind of lighting will be good for this type of setup? It doesn't have to be pretty it just has to work. I was thinking about going with T5's. Would 2 4' bulbs be enough for each tank? If so what bulbs should I use?

Also do I need to have a skimmer on a system like this? There will be absolutely no fish in this system at all.

Thanks for the help. If you have anything at all for good ideas for me that would be great!

Randall_James
11/24/2006, 01:38 PM
http://readingtrees.com (Book of Coral Propagation)

IMO a book that should be on your shelf and that you have read. It is a wealth of info

got2lb
11/24/2006, 02:01 PM
That's actually on my Christmas list! :D

got2lb
11/24/2006, 07:36 PM
bump