PDA

View Full Version : Trigger going blind?

Spider_Whistle
11/24/2006, 07:02 PM
A few months ago I broke down my FO tank and gave my Picasso to my cousin. I saw him last night and he told me that the fish seems to be having trouble seeing, and that the problem has steadily gotten worse. He seems to only be able to see things if they are directly in front of an eye, but even then he will miss several times before getting a piece of food. For the time being he is still able to get enough food from trolling the bottom of the tank, but if the problem gets worse, I don't think he'll be able to hang. According to my cousin, his eyes look normal, possibly a little cloudy, but nothing drastic.

Has anyone heard of something like this? More importantly, is there anything that can be done for the poor guy? He was my favorite fish, and I hate to see him go out like this. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spider_Whistle
11/26/2006, 02:03 PM
Anyone?

White Tiger
11/27/2006, 01:22 AM
I know of a condition that can trigger the eyes of a fish to become clouded. I don't know the name of the condition but it is caused by poor water conditions, or stress. However, I am unsure if the condition can cause blindness.

If it is caused by poor water conditions, a water change will fix the problem.

If it is caused by stress (overcrowding in tank, too small of a tank, etc.) , the you will have to determine the stressor and fix it.

Spider_Whistle
11/27/2006, 09:07 PM
I have relayed the info, thanks for the post. I'm hoping it's not too late for him.

Bebo77
11/27/2006, 09:11 PM
have you seen this fish or asked him to check his water parameters...?

Spider_Whistle
11/27/2006, 09:19 PM
I haven't seen the fish in a while, and when I spoke with him this afternoon he said he was going to get the water checked tonight. I suggested he do a water change asap, any other ideas of things he could try? Maybe carbon or some other type of sponge?

White Tiger
11/27/2006, 10:02 PM
Tell him to check for stressors of the trigger.

Spider_Whistle
11/28/2006, 08:45 PM
He's keeping an eye out, hopefully he comes up with something soon. Thanks for the info