PDA

View Full Version : Haddoni Carpet + Mantis

chrisdaphish
11/25/2006, 12:48 AM
is it possible to keep a smasher Mantis and a Haddoni Carpet together in something like a 20 gallon (im thinking it will be a little small)? what about a 40 gallon (breeder)? will the carpet eat the mantis or visa versa? thanks for your help

chris

lessthanlights
11/25/2006, 12:54 AM
a carpet will need alot of light and a mantis will probably not be happy with the light situation.

chrisdaphish
11/25/2006, 12:59 AM
i was thinking that too, but if i provide pvc piping it will completely block out light from that general spot,hopefully providing enough area for it to burrow... would it not?.. thats one problem i thought of.. anything else u can thnk of?

chrisdaphish
11/25/2006, 01:05 AM
another thing i was thinking is if i have a 40galbreeder, which has a larger footprint, i can focus the hallide or wutever light i decide to use over one part of the tank, putting hte light closer to one side of the tank, hopefully keeping the carpet on that side and then allowing hte mantis to roam around on the other side which will not be directly under the lights

but im really wondering is if one can tolerate the other .. or will one end up becomign dinner...

Ron Popeil
11/25/2006, 01:18 AM
im pretty sure the mantis will get eaten. theyre extremely curious little animals, and carpets are particularly sticky.

i wouldnt be surprised if the mantis was eaten, if not right away, definetely soon.

chrisdaphish
11/25/2006, 01:26 AM
so u think they haddoni will eventually get the mantis huh? anything to back it up? hm..=/ well good thing im stil in the planning stages, do you (or anyone) have anyexperience with them togheter? or any other concerns or comments are appreciated to

for some reason in my mind,i see it happening this way.. that the mantis will be exploring, get stuck on the carpet and as the carpet is closing trying to eat him, the mantis will try its hardest to survive. regardless if he survives or not, the carpet will be greatly damaged.....thats what i think woudl happen if disaster would happen...

that being said.. i dont know if its the best idea.. but if no one has ever tried it ... someones got to right?... *shrug

rkelman
11/25/2006, 04:14 AM
I think they would be fine. Haddoni's do not require alot of light I kept one just fine under pc's. My cleaner shrimp will walk right across my haddoni and steal food from it. I find marine animals have a sense not to mess with the carpet. Any new fish I've added have known not to venture too close. The shrimp knows the carpet can't stick to it very well so he is alot bolder.

dc
11/25/2006, 08:56 AM
Well my mantis got killed by a RBT. As previously stated they are curious little things.

chrisdaphish
11/28/2006, 03:51 PM
any other suggestions/concerns/comments