PDA

View Full Version : Adding calcium, mag., strontium.......

SINNERMF
11/25/2006, 05:55 PM
Ok this is a real novice question. I've heard that you should not add certain additives at the same time. I've heard don't mix Kalkwasser and calcium at the same time beause 1 cancels the other or something. Is there anything that should not be added at the same time or within the same day?? (calcium, kalkwasser, strontium, buffer, iodine, trace elements....)
Thanks,
Mike

kau_cinta_ku
11/25/2006, 06:05 PM
their isn't a prob. on adding anything to your tank the same day. the prob. is that some ppl wanted to add their cal. and alk. to their water top off and have it get mixed that way. but you can't do that. but adding cal. to the main tank or sump is fine if it is added to a high flow area. also just remember do not add anything unless you are testing for it.

drummereef
11/25/2006, 06:09 PM
Not necessarily the same day, but you should use caution when dosing any product into the tank. Kalkwasser is very beneficial, but can be quite dangerous if you aren't careful using it. I think you are thinking about precipitation issues. When aklalinity suppliments and calcium are dosed at the same time they can precipitate.

Here are some articles to read about dosing for such issues.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

markandkristen
11/25/2006, 07:55 PM
ive always shut my pumps off when i add anything to my system . then i add it to my sump and swirl it around to help dolute before it hits the main display.
ive also added more than one thing on the same day.