PDA

View Full Version : Anemone in a nano?

chelskisw6
11/25/2006, 08:19 PM
Does anyone see any potential problems of having a nem in a 22g with T5 HO lighting? Im thinking about a BTA...

Raibaru
11/25/2006, 08:21 PM
I've seen BTA's in those 12g aquapods a lot before. Several of the LFS have them set up around the store like that.

TitusvileSurfer
11/25/2006, 08:26 PM
I might be setting up a 25 gal SW because that is what I have available. Probably not the best choice for my 1st marine tank, but I've done more than my share of homework and am pretty confident. Perhaps I could get an anemone and a pair of clowns to keep for a year or so before I get serious with a 180g+.

55semireef
11/25/2006, 09:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8618874#post8618874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chelskisw6
Does anyone see any potential problems of having a nem in a 22g with T5 HO lighting? Im thinking about a BTA...

There lots of potential problems with this type of setup.

1. Limited amount of room for your anemone.

2. Anemone has a much higher chance of getting caught in an intake

3. There is practically no stability with a setup this small

4. Anemone might roam and bumb into possible corals if you ever plan on getting them.

5. Depending on what size you get your anemone, it will outgrow your tank fast.

The biggest problem is number 3. There is no water stability in a setup this small. The reason why bigger tanks are so much better is because they provide more water capacity and the more water capacity, the more stability. Remember, change happens faster in a smaller tank than say a 150 gallon. Evaporation happens faster thus the salinity rises faster. Instability will only stress the anemone out eventually whithering away.

I say the bare minimum for anemones is a 40 gallon tank for them to thrive. Thats just BTAs. Other anemones need much bigger tanks.

Just my .02

Haddonisreef
11/25/2006, 10:04 PM
I have 16 bow for my nano and i started with 1 green bta and now i have 4 they only have grown to the size of a golf ball b4 splitting. so it ca be done just beware on how much you feed them cause they will grow quick. Also i have a pair of blk ocllaris clown hosting. I can post some pics if you like! Look at my gall!

55semireef
11/26/2006, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8619500#post8619500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CHARLIE AGUILAR
I have 16 bow for my nano and i started with 1 green bta and now i have 4 they only have grown to the size of a golf ball b4 splitting. so it ca be done just beware on how much you feed them cause they will grow quick. Also i have a pair of blk ocllaris clown hosting. I can post some pics if you like! Look at my gall!

Your lucky that you have the type of BTA that splits instead of just growing. Otherwise, you probably would have to of upgraded by now.

Chupacabras
11/26/2006, 06:13 PM
With proper planning, even the smallest of tanks can easily maintain stability. 22's certainly restrict how much you can keep with a BTA since they cut a pretty wide swath when fully opened but if take that into account, it's probably ok.

55semireef
11/26/2006, 06:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8623520#post8623520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chupacabras
With proper planning, even the smallest of tanks can easily maintain stability. 22's certainly restrict how much you can keep with a BTA since they cut a pretty wide swath when fully opened but if take that into account, it's probably ok.

Its probably ok? I would rather base my decision on "Its definately ok." Keeping an anemone in a 22 gallon is no definite...say in a bigger tank such as a 75...your success rate is much greater.

Say you have a fish die in your 22 gallon. Thats going to foul up the water much faster in a 22 gallon compared to a bigger tank. A BTA in a 22 gallon with a dead fish is going to become affected faster and worse than a BTA in a 75.

Yeah you could keep a BTA in a 22, but its not going to be long term...

Chupacabras
11/26/2006, 06:44 PM
The same reasoning could be used about anything kept in a nano-reef. BTA's can be kept in a smaller tank with the right provisions (ATO, diligent inventory of the tank, etc. etc.). Note also that in a smaller tank, considerably smaller livestock are kept which are going to foul the tank proportionally to what would happen with a larger tank, though the cleanup crew will clear the problem much quicker if you don't notice it.

55semireef
11/26/2006, 07:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8623717#post8623717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chupacabras
The same reasoning could be used about anything kept in a nano-reef. BTA's can be kept in a smaller tank with the right provisions (ATO, diligent inventory of the tank, etc. etc.). Note also that in a smaller tank, considerably smaller livestock are kept which are going to foul the tank proportionally to what would happen with a larger tank, though the cleanup crew will clear the problem much quicker if you don't notice it.

Point is you will either end up with lots of BTAs or one big one in about 8 months depending on how often you feed it. Yeah it CAN work but I have read to many threads titled "Why is my BTA looking so bad?" What may work for one may not work for another.

Haddonisreef
11/26/2006, 07:56 PM
There not that pretty but my blk oc. clown enjoy.