PDA

View Full Version : Need quick answer please :)

suitcasey
11/26/2006, 02:43 PM
Hey there! Well today I began to turn my FO tank into a FOWL. Just need a bit of quick advice of what to do about something. I needed to upgrade my flow significantly, so I bought a good powerful powerhead off ebay.
After a bit of fiddling i got it to work. It had obviously been used before but its working good, the person before me didnt clean it out with anything. It was covered in a very thin layer of algae, which i rinsed off. I thought that would be all that was needed. Then I was taking off the top and saw four wormlike creatures. They looked like a ragworm, but they were only about one centimetre long. They were dead but now im having second thoughts as to how thoroughly I need to clean it out. I have removed them and cleaned it the best I could, I now have it flowing through some clean water in a bucket.
I would like to get the powerhead in tonight, could anyone tell me if this would be a bad idea? Should I clean it anymore? will there be any problems if i just put it straight in?

Any responses would be very helpful, thankyou very much :)

Casey.

reefnetworth
11/26/2006, 02:49 PM
one part bleach to five parts water will kill anything. rinse extremely well. when you no longer smell bleach on it, its clean enough. you can also use 100% white distilled vinegar, both take about the same clean-up time just which ever you have around the house. with the bleach just make sure you rinse throughly, i cant stress that enough. worst thing from the viegar is lowered pH.

John, :)

suitcasey
11/26/2006, 02:56 PM
Thankyou very much for the quick reply :)! I will do the bleach then. Just before I do it, would you say its completely essential? This is the first time the pump has been in water for atleast a month, maybe two, so i'd say everything in it is definitely dead. I'll go ahead and do the bleach now though if you think its the best idea :). thanks very much :).

Casey.

reefnetworth
11/26/2006, 03:12 PM
your welcome, just remember to soak and rinse, rinse, rinse! Good luck, and REEF-ON!

John, ;)

suitcasey
11/26/2006, 03:30 PM
There :)! right now bleach is coursing through the powerhead, ridding it of any remenance of those creepy worm things. I really didnt like the look of them!! I'll remember to rinse many times, thanks for the quick advice :).

btw... IM SO EXCITED ABOUT MY NEW LIVE ROCK!!!! lol sorry... but i am :)!

Casey.