PDA

View Full Version : Elevated Chlorine Levels?

GobyJohnKenobi
11/26/2006, 08:50 PM
I have been using a store bought, 2 Part solution to raise the calcium levels in my tanks.

I just read that using a product containing calcium chloride can result in elevated chlorine levels. This isn't something that I had thought of before, but it does make perfect sense from a chemical standpoint.

I am now wondering what level of chlorine would be dangerous to the livestock, and if there is any test kit available for measuring chlorine in salt water? Maybe a pool chlorine test kit?

I have thought that regular water changes would help to remove the excess chlorine, but doing them also removes the calcium.

I'm not sure if I am overreacting to the possible danger, but I have discontinued using the 2 part solutions until I understand this more.

I am also considering using Tropic Marin's Bio Calcium. I hear that their process doesn't generate excess residual chlorine, but does gradually raise specific gravity.

Are my concerns justified?

boxfishpooalot
11/26/2006, 10:03 PM
Chlorine and chloride are different. If your adding calcium chloride then the chloride can run the risk of becoming skewed. Chlorine is toxic and should not be present in seawater.

I doubt chloride will become skewed when concentrations compose nearly 55% of seawater, totalling 19,000ppm Chloride.

I doubt calcium chloride will skew the chloride concentration to problematic levels.

Chloride sodium sulphate the rest
[ 54% ] [ 30% ] [ 7.7% ] [ ]

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/27/2006, 07:30 AM
Two part additives are designed to not raise chloride levels because they also have all the other ions of seawater in them. Sulfate, bromide, etc. They are not just calcium chloride.

So aside from a small boost to salinity, there is no concern about ion imbalanced with a well made two part additive.

i discuss such issues with respect to my DIY two part system:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

I am also considering using Tropic Marin's Bio Calcium. I hear that their process doesn't generate excess residual chlorine, but does gradually raise specific gravity.

It is no better than a two part system with respect to ionic balance, and its drawback is that it must be added dry. So you risk getting solids onto delicate organisms that may be irritated by it.

This article has more:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

GobyJohnKenobi
11/27/2006, 09:32 PM
Thank you, Boxfish. Very sound reasoning there.

Thank you very much, Randy.

Excellent article. From the information in the article, I think the 2 part with good water changes is the best solution for my situation.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/28/2006, 05:58 AM
That sounds like a fine plan.

Happy Reefing. :)