PDA

View Full Version : Which Sebae is this? Malu or Crispa

OrionN
11/26/2006, 10:11 PM
Here are two poor pictures. I am not very good at it, but hope it will show the needed informations of a guess. What do you think?

http://www.reefland.com/gallery/files/1/3/1/6/IMG_5371_original.jpg

http://www.reefland.com/gallery/files/1/3/1/6/IMG_5366_original.jpg

Ron Popeil
11/26/2006, 11:34 PM
my guess is h. crispa.

i dont know if ive ever seen an anemone postively identified as h. malu, but here is why i would suggest h. crispa:

the (very faint) mottled coloration of the tentacles on the far right (in the upper photo). if youve seen alot of this species of anemone, youll be able to recognize it easily.

to me, ive always been under the impression that the mottled tentacle color is what gives the anemone that "leathery" appearance, and thus...heteractis crispa. plus, it just looks like all the other crispas ive seen, with the exception of the green tips vs the much more common purple tips.

OrionN
11/27/2006, 04:55 AM
I bought it because of the green tip. It is much greener than the picture show. It wedge itself in a corner there it only have room for an anemone 1/4 it's size to open.The tentacles seem much shorter than a usual Crispa. The length of the tentacles are different. Inner tentacles are smaller and shorter than outer. FWIW, the column is very soft and flimsy, not leathery at all.
I am setting up a tank for it and when this is done, I will post better picture in a few months. The tank need to cycles and age. He is dong well as is but will outgrow it soon.

raoul
11/27/2006, 10:22 AM
Sometimes it's hard to tell in pictures, but the color seems kind of light, like it's recovering from prior bleaching. If it had bleached, the tentacles seem to be shorter. As it recovers and gains it's color back, the tentacles grow longer and taper off. Could it be that's what's happening with yours?

Good luck with it, I don't think I've ever seen green tips before :)

phender
11/27/2006, 11:06 AM
My large H. crispa has green tips. I think the column will toughen up when the anemone gets a little healthier.
It seems to me that then crispa bury in the sand their columns tend to soften. When the column is exposed it will become leathery again. At least that is how it seems IME.

raoul
11/27/2006, 01:15 PM
Phender, I've seen pics of yours and I never realized it had green tips. Maybe because I was focusing more on the size of the nem instead.
Sorry! But now I can say I've seen two :)

OrionN
11/27/2006, 01:41 PM
I wonder how often one come across a green H. crispa. I have never seen one until this one so I bought it. It is really beautiful. The picture does not do it any justice at all. I will try to get a better picture at a later time. It grew a lot over the last 6 weeks, and get a little darker. It have white coloration near the tip and change to fluorescence green at the very tip.
Malu or Crispa doesn't really matter to me. More likely it is a Crispa. Will see if it grow into a Crispa like may other Crispa from way back when.

phender
11/27/2006, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8628668#post8628668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raoul
Phender, I've seen pics of yours and I never realized it had green tips. .....

For a few reasons:
They are not as bright as OrionN's :)
Flash photography tends to wash them out.
The oral disk of my crispa is also green so they tend to blend into the background

I don't see the green tips very often. Maybe only a few times a year.

Amphiprion
11/27/2006, 05:46 PM
Hmm, some individuals, even healthy ones, don't always seem to have the leathery texture--or at least not as much as other specimens. Mine is so leathery that it stopped a powerhead from sucking the rest of the animal through the strainer. It was my fault as I knocked the pump down there (and didn't know it until much later) and she was no worse for wear. Impressive if you ask me (I was shocked, because I expected her to be gnarled).

raoul
11/28/2006, 10:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8630523#post8630523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
Hmm, some individuals, even healthy ones, don't always seem to have the leathery texture--or at least not as much as other specimens. Mine is so leathery that it stopped a powerhead from sucking the rest of the animal through the strainer. It was my fault as I knocked the pump down there (and didn't know it until much later) and she was no worse for wear. Impressive if you ask me (I was shocked, because I expected her to be gnarled).

That's pretty impressive to me too! I bet you were relieved!