PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my flow plz!

vijaym85
11/26/2006, 11:09 PM
I currently am having a lot of trouble with the flow in my tank being insufficent. The tank is 72 x 18 x 28.
I want to add some seios in there but how many and how should I position them

Right now I have a single overflow in the left end of my tank. A mag 9.5 provides return flow and is located next to that corner overflow I just mentioned. ITs outlet is pointed toward the center of the tank.
Next I have a seio 2600 on the middle of the side wall of the right side of the tank.
Currently I have about 4 250gph power heads hidden within the rockwork at varies points throughout the tank to try and generate a littel more flow and reduce dead spots.
Despite all this I feel the flow is lacking. Also I have to wonder if the aquascpae is playng a role in potentially hindering the flow as well.

I would certianly like a wavebox or a bunch of tunze streams but dont see this in the near future. I was considering 2 more 2600's, SO will it be enough to get two of these, and if so how to place them, or what else can I try?

melev
11/27/2006, 12:21 AM
I would seriously consider a closed loop instead. You can get another Mag 9.5 if you wish, and have that return at two different points (or more). You could even build the Calfo Manifold (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SystemPIX/PlumbingPix/Image6.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pbh2oret.htm&h=373&w=384&sz=17&hl=en&sig2=FhbPuDNs2zV5-mO8m3zF2g&start=1&tbnid=jtk64TgESi_FMM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=123&ei=4INqRaHYNsHy6QHtj9WlAQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcalfo%2Bmanifold%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG) system, where you have a number of returns.

vijaym85
11/27/2006, 01:12 AM
intersting, I never thought in that direction prior to your mentioning it.
Can you please explain a close loop principle to me, I never turely understood the concept that governs its working. What are the benefits and drawbacks of one as well?
By the way i greatly enjoy your site and all your tank movies.
IT's an Honor to have you replying to my question.

melev
11/27/2006, 01:13 AM
If you know my site, go find the Closed Loop page. :) It would be associated with the 29g.

The benefits and cons are explained there. If you have more questions, ask in this thread and I'll answer as I'm subscribed.

vijaym85
11/27/2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks, I do recall that page now that you mention it.
Also do you have any opinions on the wave 2k as I was looking at that as well. i saw a few videos, but still unsure about it. I am sure the Tunze wavebox is a more high end with its controller and such, however do you find this product worth while considering the lower price point?

By the way the CORALS IN MOTION video was amazing, are the Tunze streams all you use in that clip? or is there more to it? Does that use a closed loop?

melev
11/27/2006, 01:36 AM
The Wave2K is a nice device, and from what I've been told the minor issues it had in the past are fixed. It does take up space in your tank, as will the Tunze Wavebox.

Both are pretty pricey. A closed loop is plumbing parts and a pump. Pretty low cost solution to necessary flow, and removes a bunch of ugly powerheads from the display.

The video you watched on my site was with Tunzes and a VorTech pump. I don't have a closed loop on the 280g reef tank.

vijaym85
11/27/2006, 01:45 AM
Sorry for all the questions,
Do you think a wave 2k and my seio2600 and the mag9.5 return will cut it for my 150, or do you think close loop will work better. I am starting to try my ahnd at sps, and i know the critical nature of proper flow. I have seen the wavebozx in action in person and was more than impressed. howver it was only on a 90g. I would be very suprised to see the wave 2k propogate waves across a 6ft distance. However the random nature of the current is very appealing.
One potential setup I liked was going with a wave2k a sea swirl on my 9.5 return and the seio I already have. Does that sound sufficent.
Thanks again for your time!

melev
11/27/2006, 01:59 AM
How much money do you have to spend? ;)

If you want some random flow, you can buy a Wavemaker Powerstrip that plugs the hidden powerheads into a timed sequence.

If you want the Seio and a Wave2k, you'll have quite a bit of area taken up in your tank. I don't really like the looks of lots of hardware, although the Wave2K is sort of invisible as it resembles an overflow.

The Tunze Wavebox is another large item, and you have to put it at one end of the tank to get a wave. It will decrease the life of the tank by 20%.

The Wavy Sea would be a nice option that will rotate the flow, but it has to be mounted on the top lip of the tank.

An Ocean Motions device can be incorporated in your closed loop, and then have flow come out of various (up to 4) outlets in your tank.

SuperNerd
11/27/2006, 02:18 AM
Penductors may also be helpful.

vijaym85
12/05/2006, 01:06 AM
Well I did some spending..... I got 2 more seio 2600's for replacing the 4-5 dinky powerheads in the tank. That brings the seio m2600 total to 3. I also got a item which I have long coveted. A tunze Wavebox. They should arrive within this or next week. I will now be stuck with the task of postioning them all to complement and not cancel each other out.
Any placement suggestions would be nice. Does the wavebox need to be exposed out of the water a bit, or can it be submegred all the way to the tank bottom?