PDA

View Full Version : LFS said mated pair. I think not......

@qu@m@n
11/27/2006, 07:32 AM
Hello all,
Bought what is suppose to b a mated pair of maroons yesterday. But since I have put them in the tank, they act like anything but mates ( they fight/lip lock, and stay at opposite ends of the tank)

Read in this forum, that if they fight&lip lock then they are prob. both females. Can any1 tell me if I got had.... Don't want to call lfs and say shenanigans till I M sure....

:confused: :mad2: :(

CanesDave
11/27/2006, 08:19 AM
The lip/lock would indicate a serious problem although maroons are about the toughest to pair. Is there a big difference in the size of the two clowns?

TOURKID
11/27/2006, 05:41 PM
if they are both similar size, you'll most likely need to take one back and find a tiny juvi instead. even then you'll have fighting the first few days.

If they are real different in size, give them time. Or put the one getting more beat up inside a specimin container so the other can get used to it...

@qu@m@n
11/27/2006, 08:28 PM
Too late I M afraid. Got home from work today, and the big 1 had beaten the little one so bad he couldn't swim upright. I wish I had seperated them last nite, but didn't think it was goin to end up like this. Don't even want to tell my GF.... :(

fingerwrinkles
11/28/2006, 02:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the troubles with your pair. Maroons are notorious for having very fickle bondings that can be broken when transferring tanks or moving between locations (maybe they have very short memories!). Sometimes if a pair is packed in separate bags out of sight of one another during the transfer, the larger one will beat up on the smaller one as if it was a completely new intruder. In the past I've moved pairs by packing in separate bags, but placed these bags together in a larger bag so that the pair could always see each other. This approach certainly is not guaranteed to work, but it does reduce the probablility of a broken pair.

GSMguy
11/28/2006, 02:55 PM
switching tanks and seperation works best sorry man at least you still have the big one now go find the smallest marroon you can and i will help you get them paired my method is kickass

Ritten
11/28/2006, 08:49 PM
I got suckered into the "pair" by the LFS also. Had to tear down my tank to get them out. Sorry for your loss.

@qu@m@n
11/28/2006, 09:12 PM
Thnx 4 the replies,
Got email back from lfs, said the pair had been in his tank for a mo. w/no probs, n I believe him. The owner seems like a real str8 up guy..He said I cud bring them back. I sent email back asking if he could get me a smll juv A.S.A.P instead. By the favor of the gods, my GF still doesn't know :rolleyes: And I really want to avoid her finding out , these were actually her fish she picked out.

And GSMguy, if all goes well and I get a smll maroon, would b interested in your method... I only hope it doesn't involve them fighting, I can't stand to c a fsh get bullied by another fsh.......

Will post progress...

@qu@m@n
11/28/2006, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8639176#post8639176 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ritten
I got suckered into the "pair" by the LFS also. Had to tear down my tank to get them out. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear I M not the only one. Also want to pass along sum info that u may or may not know, It's how to make a fsh trap out of a 2 litre bottle. I was skeptical, till I made one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and thnk god it worked or I would have had to tear dwn my tank to get a mean @$$ Sgt. Mjr Damsel out ... to c the post click this thread

Link doesn't seem to be attaching, Here is info and pics:
This worked for me and my brother on countless ocasions.. its his invention.. its the top of a 2 liter cut off turned around and ziptied back together. also the spout is cut off and a few holes punched to allow it to fill up.. put that fishes favorite food in tthere.. once in get it out fast! once they get out they dont go back.. i found tying fishing line to the front to lift it out helps.. also.. dont be a dumb a-- like me and yank it out excited you caught a fish and hold it above the lights.. the holes let the water in............... and out... so have a bucket ready to put the trap in as soon as you take it out.. and have your hypo tank ready too...

@qu@m@n
11/28/2006, 10:57 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/136632fshtrap1.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/136632fshtrap2.jpg

Also so u know, can use fish line for all the securing, instead of twist ties

edwing206
11/29/2006, 12:29 AM
nice trap

GSMguy
11/29/2006, 08:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8639326#post8639326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by @qu@m@n
Thnx 4 the replies,
Got email back from lfs, said the pair had been in his tank for a mo. w/no probs, n I believe him. The owner seems like a real str8 up guy..He said I cud bring them back. I sent email back asking if he could get me a smll juv A.S.A.P instead. By the favor of the gods, my GF still doesn't know :rolleyes: And I really want to avoid her finding out , these were actually her fish she picked out.

And GSMguy, if all goes well and I get a smll maroon, would b interested in your method... I only hope it doesn't involve them fighting, I can't stand to c a fsh get bullied by another fsh.......

Will post progress...

ha ha i think making clowns fight it out is cruel and unnatural
my method involves seperation and time. Using a regular specimin container filled with holes i put the new clown in the container in the tank near where the older clown hangs that way the initial aggression is "safe" then when the aggression subdoes i put the old clown in the specimin container and put the new one in the tank to get used to it then after another 24-48hours i put them in together mine did this and i paired my maroons without my new male getting one rip or tear in his fins

AqCons
11/29/2006, 10:23 PM
@qu@m@n, sorry to hijack your thread but I have been PM you. I sent you the supplements and you received several days ago. I have asked several times for you to send payment by papal to von915@yahoo.com for the $13.00 we agreed on. (I actually miscalculated shipping and it cost me over $11.00 but I am standing by our $13.00 agreement.) I haven't received payment yet. I suppose I shouldn't have sent it until it showed up on paypal. If there's a problem, please let me know. I haven't heard a word from you. I took you at your word you would pay so please stand by it. Thanks. And sorry again to hijack your thread but I can't seem to get a response from you.

@qu@m@n
11/30/2006, 10:46 PM
Hey Aquacon,
Haven't responded, because I don't know what to say to you. I didn't make paypal payment, because I hadn't made up my mind if I needed the supplements. In the begining I thought I did, but I really don't, the box is sitting here at my feet, and I have absolutely no use for anything in it, and prob. never will.

But since u sent it, and I don't want to pay to send it back to u, I am trying to sell the supplements to local reefers, and then give u the money. So far have sold the phosphate pad for $5, and waiting for a buddy to buy the buffer for couple bucks. Guess I could have written u and told u all this, but I M a procrastenator.

So pls b patient, and I will get u the $13, even if it has to come out of my pocket.....

AqCons
12/01/2006, 10:05 AM
What do you mean you were sure if you wanted them? See your post to me regarding the supplements. You also gave me your address to send them. What part of your responses would lead me to believe you didn't want the supplements? I'm sorry if you changed your mind but you asked how to pay me and sent me your address for shipping.

Your name
Your address
Your city & state. 32953

quote:
AqCons wrote on 11/14/2006 02:07 AM:
I think I have set up my paypal okay. I've never done this before. My email is von915@yahoo.com
I will get things ready to ship to you. I just need your address. Thanks! Tammy

quote:
@qu@m@n wrote on 11/12/2006 12:12 AM:
Sorry took so long to get back to u... Haven't had a chance to get on till now. The price sounds fine, how would u like me to pay u?

Also, just to be sure there are no misunderstandings, thes are the items I'm interested in:

Tropical Science phosphate filter pad never opened. For Red and hair algae and cyano.

Following supplements, etc. $10 for all.

Coralife invert calcium supplement 8oz. New

SeaChem Denitrate Nitrate Remove 2 L New

Seachem Marine Buffer 8.8 oz new

Marc Weiss RO Vital New still in plastic

2 Melafix New 16 oz each

Amquel New 8 oz

Thanks....