PDA

View Full Version : looking for local breeder and info on seting up for breeding

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 04:13 PM
Ok first, i wanna see if anyone on here is in NJ and breeding clowns or cardinals (if your in NJ and don't breed those types of fish please tell me what you do breed)

Ok second, i dont underside what i need for breeding like 2-3 tanks? i just dont get it... can i use containers? what should i get before i get the fish? filters, heaters lights?
Thanks and I'm trying to get that clownfish book a few members told me about

THANK YOU!!!!
NICK

Kathy55g
11/27/2006, 05:10 PM
Don't buy anything but that book for starters. First decide if you really want to do this. It entails a lot of time and money. If you buy equipment before you know what you are in for, you may quit and have wasted a lot of money on stuff you will never use.

Start slowly. Grow some phytoplankton. Start some rotifers. See if you have a friend with spawning fish that will let you practice on their newly hatched larvae. That's what I did, and it worked out well. Very little expense, and you can get your feet wet. Then if you like it, and it fits into your lifestyle, you can build a system, and get serious.

You need no more advice at this time, than to read and understand that book.

gemini aquarius(t)
11/27/2006, 05:16 PM
how old are you im 14 so i was just wondering cause it says ur not old enough to have a job!

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 06:05 PM
Thx yea i'm going to ask for that book for Christmas then if i think i should i'll go out and buy some stuff and i'm 15 :p i could have a job just dont fill like it :D

and how is alot of money like 200-300 bucks?
BTW thx for the info kathy55g

gemini aquarius(t)
11/27/2006, 06:09 PM
haha nice to see another teen reefer/breeder enthusiast! anyways good luck ,ask tons of questions!

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 06:12 PM
yea not many of us around and i will ask every question that i'm not sure about i dont wanna lose any lives because of a short cut i took or something..

gemini aquarius(t)
11/27/2006, 06:13 PM
ya thats a good way to look at this! do you have a pair of clowns already?

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 07:31 PM
nope...i don't have one yet I've been talking with the owner of NYAquatic.com and he said he will try and get me a pair of clowns for 40 bucks with shipping unless i can find someone selling a mated pair locally around here...
i heard some one talking about a online fish store that sells pairs of fish but i forgot the site anyone know? i remember them having mated pairs of gobys for sell awhile back

gemini aquarius(t)
11/27/2006, 07:34 PM
ohh sweet sounds like a good idea! good luck!

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 07:52 PM
yea i hope he can get me a pair but i'm not a 100% sure he will i'm going to check a few fish stores before i'd buy from the web but never know and what are your plans and list for breeding?

gemini aquarius(t)
11/27/2006, 08:00 PM
my plans??

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 08:28 PM
like with your tank how are you setting up your tanks to breed i'm going to go make something with paint and post it on here and ask if it will work for frys

gemini aquarius(t)
11/27/2006, 08:32 PM
look at my thread i have mine shown there

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 08:37 PM
hmm i just seen the picture i don't understand it maybe i will figure it out i'm going to look at it again and then upload the one i just did :D

gemini aquarius(t)
11/27/2006, 08:46 PM
ok well the little blue things are bio balls then the protien skimmer has a pump that is fed water from the overflow that is on its way up and over into the refugium and then the skimmer will have a chance to get gunk out of the water after it has been through the bio balls then the refugium has a deep sand bed for all the tiny organisms to florish in the refugium also has macro algea for nutient export and then the rock for other pod reproduction then the filtered/ pod infested water is pumped into the tank with the clowns so they can injoy the pods and clean water

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 09:30 PM
oh nice :D do you need a skimmer in a fry tank? i thought you just need a air head and maybe a small filter..

saltwater4life1
11/27/2006, 09:38 PM
Oh yea here is the picture i made I'm not sure about the divider i might make it smaller and add some floss and some filter stuff to keep it cleaner

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3866/ideaforbabyfishzd1.png (http://imageshack.us)

MimicTang
11/28/2006, 12:22 AM
think u all should get the book. You cant keep big guys and just hatched guys in the same tank, and u cant do it with out a skimmer either.

Noof
11/28/2006, 03:15 AM
Cant do what without a skimmer?
Breed clowns?...
I bet you a million clowns you can!!

saltwater4life1
11/28/2006, 06:21 AM
yea i figured i couldn't keep the big guys and little guys together, it was just something i wasn't sure about.
Now they need skimmers? o.0

Noof
11/28/2006, 06:26 AM
Hmmm I am going to stab in the dark and guess that you are rather new to the hobby? So skimmer for sure until you get the hang of things.

Especially given you want your fish to spawn so you will be feeding a fair bit and that will mess your water up a lot.
Good Luck.

saltwater4life1
11/28/2006, 06:29 AM
oh yea i forgot about that having to feed them more then now... but do i need a skimmer in the fry tanks? I'll be getting a skimmer for the mom and dad tank... and yea i've only been keeping SW fish a few months but loving it!

Noof
11/28/2006, 06:47 AM
My fry tanks are pretty much just tanks heaters and lights with an airstone in for good measure. Get Wilkersons book. Later get Hoffs book. then get eggs then get green water then get rots then get larvae to hatch then get them to met. then past met then grow them out.
Easy hey?

saltwater4life1
11/28/2006, 11:33 AM
so i don't need a skimmer then ok thats what i thought you guys where saying i needed a skimmer in the fry tanks...i might DIY some skimmers if i get to it and use them for the tanks once they getting like half a inch and craping some
and i'm going to try and get a few of those books for christmas my mom probbly will freck if i tell her i want some books...