PDA

View Full Version : ichs!

hoofenshnoz
11/28/2006, 12:03 AM
So far ichs has taken out 4 of my fish after medication and proper care....I wish I knew more what i was doing cause theres obviously something im doing wrong :(

PatMayo
11/28/2006, 12:06 AM
Read this it will give you an eduction on this stuff. It's 2 parts read both parts.

Regards,

Pat

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

MimicTang
11/28/2006, 12:09 AM
hypo seems to work great gotta go to 1.009 thou

GregEMT
11/28/2006, 12:17 AM
You should give us some detail about what you have been doing, maybe something will stand out and we can help you fix it.

Sometimes ich can take over and kill if the fish just isn't strong enough. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing what you know to do. With more help it might get better too.

hoofenshnoz
11/28/2006, 01:15 AM
that link was much helpful. I have a 10G freshwater tank i have been wanting to dissassemble. Is this a good base for a QT...also will be freshwater heater and hang on filter work?

Shooter7
11/28/2006, 06:32 AM
To me, a 10g is kind of a rough tank to use for a QT, especially if you're going to try and do hypo. The reason being is that in that small of a tank, it doesn't take much evap to start increasing your salinity because of the small volume. Hypo is pretty dependent on sticking to that 1.009 level throughout the treatment. Unless you're really rigid about topping off every day, maybe a couple times a day, you could vary your salinity and lose your hypo level you need to stay at. Additionally, a 10g is only going to work for rather small fish, and at most a couple at a time even if they are small...more preferably just a single fish at a time. Using the 10g is something that could be done, but you'll have to be very careful with it and understand that it would not be good to drop something like a tang in there for a 6 week hypo treatment.

hoofenshnoz
11/28/2006, 10:23 AM
Hmm well my kole tank is the fish that has it the worst right now. So i guess ill have to just cure it in the display tank.

mikeandjenn99
11/28/2006, 03:46 PM
Be careful medicating your main tank. If you put in any medication that has copper in it, you will kill your live rock and any inverts. Plus, you'll never be able to have corals or anything because the copper will leech out of the seals and rock (if you don't replace) forever. I would recommend just buying a 20g/29g to keep around as a QT.
Just my $.02