PDA

View Full Version : question about filter!

suitcasey
11/28/2006, 02:19 PM
Hey there everyone! just need to ask a quick question here. I've been running an eheim canister filter on my 55 gallon tank for 2 years and it has been my main source of biological filtration so it has a lot of good bacteria in it. Last night we went to clean it out in tank water, but when setting it back up we couldnt get all the pumps connected right so we had to just leave it. We switched it off, disconnected and left it overnight.
Today Im thinkin that might have been a stupid move! im sure its all still damp inside, but without the heat and everything has all the bacteria not died?? We're able to set it up again tonight, but i don't want my tank water to be flowing through something that will be harmful to it.

Also, I just got live rock for my tank and was advised to get rid of the canister filter now. Is there a reason for this?! cos i cant really think of one. I mean im sure it would still be of some use!

Anyway any replies would be very welcome, thankyou in advance for any help :)!

Casey.

suitcasey
11/28/2006, 03:48 PM
anyone able to offer any advice?? :( sorry for being impatient. just having to quickly decide whether its safe to get the filter goin again. thanks.

suitcasey
11/29/2006, 02:10 PM
sorry but can anyone please help me?? Really unsure of what to do so any advice at all would be very appreciated. Thinkin of maybe taking the substrate out and washing it in tank water, then setting it back up again? is this a good plan or will it still cause problems??

Casey.

raddogz
11/29/2006, 02:24 PM
Typically canister filters and bio-balls will hold onto detritus causing elevated levels of Nitrate - hence as many like to call Nitrate Factory.

The live rock isn't just for show, as it provides natural biological filtration hence you don't need the canister filter at least the way how you were using as a biological filtration.

suitcasey
11/29/2006, 05:25 PM
Ok thankyou very much for the reply :). I understand a bit better now. However the canister filter has never caused any high nitrates in my tank before, will using it as a biological filter aswell as the rock not just be better for the tank?

However my main question is just is it safe to get it going again, even for a few more weeks? It hasnt had water flowing through it for 2 days now, but everything inside it is stil damp. Please someone tell me if it would be a bad idea to start it up tonight or not?? :(

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Casey.

raddogz
11/29/2006, 05:35 PM
I don't think it would hurt, but that is simply my opinion.