PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad? Algea....??

srkr1432
11/28/2006, 04:17 PM
Well here is a overall pic first:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/srkr1432/FishNov06007.jpg

Here is my problem <I think> Its growing on top of the water and all down the inside of the glass:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/srkr1432/FishNov06.jpg

I use r/o water only.

What do yall think...thanks in advance....Shane

rowland75
11/28/2006, 04:24 PM
Looks like cyano. Not a good thing.

What are your levels, nitrate, phosphate etc

What filtration and lr do you have, flow etc

How old is your tank?

Sorry, loads of questions but should help.

srkr1432
11/28/2006, 04:30 PM
nitrate 80

nitrite 0

ph 8.5

coraline protein skimmer

a lot of flow

About a year old the tank is

Sk8r
11/28/2006, 04:41 PM
THat's cyano, for sure. Lower your nitrates by about 80...check to be sure that corner isn't getting hit by sunlight at some time of the day. It's winter, and the sun has moved in the sky. AND it's about time you got this plague, which comes and goes...don't panic, and don't take to one of the miracle cures: too much can go wrong, and that's not a half-bad infestation. It's bacteria, not algae, but running Phosban may help your tank as a whole. Follow instructions meticulously. A turkey baster can suck the cyano up. Read various people's experiences with this stuff, and read the horror stories, too, from people who have tried chemical answers and regretted it. It will go away on its on as your conditions change for the better.

srkr1432
11/28/2006, 04:43 PM
Should I scrape it and try to suck some out when i do a water change? Or will it spread if messed with. I'm gonna start feeding less..that snowflake eel is gonna get ****ed!! I fed him raw shrimp every other day.just don't want him to grab one of my clowns.

srkr1432
11/28/2006, 05:54 PM
?? thats it..alrighty then!

boxfishpooalot
11/28/2006, 06:12 PM
cyano bacteria(algae)

Problem is there is too much organics present. Much is coming from your yellow tang. Look through the side of your tank. Does it have a yellow cast? That is dissolved organics, they are causing the nitrates to rise.

You need to compensate for the nitrate rise. Do this biologically. Either more sugar size sand or macro aglae. Or a skimmer.

The macro will remove the phosphates and nitrates causing this cyano to grow. Its all about export and that yellow water does not help if you got it.

Sk8r
11/28/2006, 06:18 PM
Skim wet, skim hard, and skim more. Plus the Phosban, which will take the yellow out of your water, among other things---but watch your ph while using it! I doubt a turkey baster accident could spread it more than it is---just get it off of where it's finding a home, and it may not find another spot as hospitable.

Nano Chris
11/29/2006, 10:03 AM
Do you have water movement to keep the top of the tank's water moving?

ACBlinky
11/29/2006, 11:44 AM
The tank is pretty heavily stocked; a blue tang, yellow tang, snowflake eel and a pair of clowns is a too much for a 65g IMO. Get those nitrates down any way you can, reduce phosphates to zero either with an adsorbing resin, macro or both and the cyano should resolve on its own. It may take some time, cyano can be persistant stuff.

dippin61
11/29/2006, 01:09 PM
wow.. those nitrates are high.. work on getting them down, skim really wet, change some water, and try to keep the top of the water skimmed.

srkr1432
11/29/2006, 09:55 PM
My water is crystal clear ..no yellow at all..sorry